Anti Chicken neighbor/ update in first post

islandchix

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 3, 2011
Hawaii
We live in a rural area on 1/2 acre and the only folks on our road are us and the next door anti-chicken neighbor. The reason I know she's anti-chicken is the neighbor on the road behind us said she called the county on his next door friend who had "too many".

Ok, so our hens have been free ranging since they were 8 weeks old and are 5 months now. We have a forest of Ohia tree's and ginger plants between us ( no fencing) and yes the hens have made a habit of going over to her place and pulling off a few leaves from her plants. We bring them back whenever we see them, but obviously they keep going over.

Yesterday she came over and asked if we would keep them out of her yard and even asked if we had a hen house to keep them in (yes we do...at night!!)... My hubby did apologize and sent her on her way.
duc.gif

We just dont have the big bucks to fence our property and hate keeping them in the tractor all day and they are pretty PO'd for being stuck in there now.

I guess I just need to vent! I don't get people that want to live rural and then can't take a few chicks coming into their yard. This is so non Hawaii 'cause most Hawaii loves da chickens!
D.gif

Btw, her cat sure does have free roam of our neighborhood!
tongue.gif

UPDATE: The fence is going up! Obviously they are my birds that need to stay on my property. Should have done just that before posting my rant!

Last edited:
Next time you see her cat in your yard make sure you go over and ask her to keep it out of you yard;)

Last edited:
IDK, if I didn't have chickens I wouldnt want someone elses chickens coming in my yard. What if I was developing some new flower in my garden and they ate it? My dog is "free range" but she doesnt go to the neighbors' houses EVER, so I feel justified in getting peeved when they let their great dane come terrorize my yard at will. Is the cat doing destructive things in your yard or just wakling across the property without making an impact? I don't realy think chickens ever go anywhere without making an impact....

I understand this upsets you to keep the chickens from going her property or putting up a fence but they are roaming onto her property. She did approach you to tell you this was upsetting her so you need to make amends. If she were to get a dog tomorrow your chickens would be in grave danger. She does have a right to complain and you should make this right by keeping your chickens on your property.

It's ok to vent, and you're right about people who live in the rural area but can't take the farm life. I was not raised on a farm but my Grandparents did and I loved it, now I am starting my own just with chickens first.. Our hens and roos have a fenced in area so they can somewhat have grass to eat and play in. My girls have the biggest and it's open and one of my girls likes to fly over, but she soon is caught and put back. At night I place their food and water inside the coop, so when they decide to go in for the night, I close them in so thst nothing gets to them. My roos have a complete over head fenced in cage, so I just close their small door that lets them into their fenced in yard area. So far haven't lost anyone. With your neighbor and her cat, I would ask her to please keep her cat off your lawn and garden, their pee and poop really tears up the soil and nothing will grow. Unlike out hens their poop helps the soil,LOL....
lol.png
I have a one that lets her dog do whatever, but I do manage to catch her and shoo her off. Other than that everyone seems to enjoy my hens and roos.... My husband wonders why people buy large lots of land and never use it for anything, he feels it's a waste of unused land. WE are hoping to buy about 20 acres ons day,
hmm.png
Well you try and have a good day, I'll pray for your neighbor, she needs some comfort and hopefully she'll remember where her eggs and chicken meat come from... I never thought that it was so hard on hens just to lay eggs.

I know, I know,...DH and I are now talking about what kind of fencing we can put up that will keep them on our side. Its just so frustrating...one of the reasons we moved rural was to get away from annoying nosey neighbors. And a wild dog has already come onto our property and killed our roo...

I like her cat, I even had a chat with him when he started coming around checking out the chicks and we seem to have an understanding. lol

maybe if she got to know our hens we could all just be in peace.

well, looks like the fence is going up...

Last edited:
If you have concerns about predators (cats are predators) make sure you put out a live trap to catch the varmits before they get your chickens.
As an animal lover and property owner, you do have the responcibility to keep your animals at home.

Sorry I don't like it when my own chickens eat my plants. If you have a 1/2 acre you can get some T posts cheep on craigslist or the like and a roll of field fence and just fence one side, her side. Give a little you'll all be happier.
old.gif

I understand about living rural but some people live this way for the peace and quiet. Not always for farm living. I live in a rural area, some of us have farm animals and some don't. One neighbor has a beautiful landscaped yard and no pets. Another neighbors pigs are always getting out and in our yards so I can relate to her getting upset. Chickens can do damage. Maybe try putting up some sort of fence to keep them out that way your showing her you understand and are trying. Good luck and hope all works out.

Aww sorry about your roo
hugs.gif
i think you'll work this out. I use to live in a townhouse and when we started our family we bought a new construction house on an acre...ahh some distance between the neighbors. But then the house next to us was sold to a family whom soon after filled the back yard with a vicious caboodle, pitbull and german shephard. Animal control came because the dogs were digging under their 4 foot aluminum fence to get at my kids and whomever went by and barking for hours and hours outside while they went to the gym etc.
rant.gif
so they had to improve their fence were issued fines and the dogs had no licenses..blah blah...but there went my 1 acre of peace and tranquility. She bought the dogs because she wanted vicious dogs because she felt "isolated" from the world...her words. Then why did you leave the city to come out here???
smack.gif
It's hard to deal with neighbors but you also don't know what they are capable of. Good luck, I hope things work out well.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom