1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anti-crow halter for roos?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sassafras, Jul 7, 2011.

  1. Sassafras

    Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

    544
    1
    121
    Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    Has anyone tried this? It could be like a horse halter design which allows them to eat and drink but not to open their yap fully to crow. Like a partial muzzle.
    Just a crazy idea.
     
  2. mamaKate

    mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I feel your pain but it sounds kind of mean.
     
  3. EweSheep

    EweSheep Flock Mistress

    21,917
    69
    418
    Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No not really. Several people attempted this method and similiar ones, all failed.

    If you don't like roosters crowing, get rid of him. That is their nature. If you want to keep him quiet but OK to crow at descent hour, put him in a dark box and let him out when you get up in the morning.
     
  4. EweSheep

    EweSheep Flock Mistress

    21,917
    69
    418
    Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Whats mean about it? Halters on horses and dogs, no different. Same for "muzzle cages", it is humane if you need it for certain reasons, such as biting, overeating, aggressiveness. If you do it not to feed him, or water him, then it is a problem.
     
  5. mamaKate

    mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I wouldn't muzzle a dog for more than a short period (a walk or vet visit). Not sure about horses because I don't have any experience there.
     
  6. Sassafras

    Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

    544
    1
    121
    Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    I personally don't have a problem with roosters crowing but I see so many posts about people having to get rid of their roos because they annoy their neighbors or because they are not allowed to keep them. I just don't understand why people try straight run if they are not allowed to have roosters and they are not going to eat them.
     
  7. ReikiStar

    ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

    Quote:It's not just straight runs. There are tons of people on here who got their roo from the "pullet" bin. We did and now we have an EE roo who has a forever home (the feed store only orders Pullets for EE's but they tend to be the hardest to sex, so they've had twice as many come back as unwanted roos than any other breed they carried this year).

    Even with sexed orders, at best they can only guarantee the gender by 90%. Someone ends up with the other 10%.
     
  8. crawfordmama

    crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

    732
    1
    121
    Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Quote:DH and I have struggled to come up with ideas to keep our roo quiet (he begins crowing every morning at 3:30). I have to say I've fantasized of taping his beak shut, or going out to the coop with a loud-speaker just before he wakes up and "crowing" at him. [​IMG]

    Does the box method really work? What kind of box is used?

    Sorry, Sassafras, I don't mean to take away from your question.
     
  9. the3ofus+oursixchicks

    the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    that is just plain wrong. if people dont want to hear a rooster then they dont need to get a rooster. i personally love to hear mine. crazy invention who ever thought of it.
     
  10. ChickieBooBoo

    ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

    28,316
    10
    331
    Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:[​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by