Anti-inflammatory meds for chickens?

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
One of my hens seems to have injured her hip. I have no idea what happened - she was fine Monday night and when I let her out Tuesday morning she limped twice then her leg gave out. She has been using her wing as a crutch and cannot stand on her right leg. When I got home from work last night I picked her up to examine her, and I can feel some swelling where her hip meets her spine, and I noticed she has been biting at that area. I compared joint function of the bad leg to the good, and all joints are moving freely and equally. As I rolled her over to her good side, I could hear a snap or pop, though I can't be sure where it is coming from. It was something I could repeat over and over, which leads me to believe it is soft tissue related (at least in humans it would be) like tendonitis. When she sits she falls backwards, like she cannot get the leg behind her. I gave the leg a little posterior tug (yes I am a trained professional ;)) but it only seemed to help for a minute. I highly suspect some kind of tendon sprain or ligament damage as the hip didn't seem dislocated or subluxated. I mixed up an asprin in her water this morning for pain, but is there anything I can give her to bring down the swelling in the hip/spine area? Or is there anything else I can do for her? She is in her own coop and run (alone) as I was switching her to a different flock for breeding purposes.

One of my hens seems to have injured her hip. I have no idea what happened - she was fine Monday night and when I let her out Tuesday morning she limped twice then her leg gave out. She has been using her wing as a crutch and cannot stand on her right leg. When I got home from work last night I picked her up to examine her, and I can feel some swelling where her hip meets her spine, and I noticed she has been biting at that area. I compared joint function of the bad leg to the good, and all joints are moving freely and equally. As I rolled her over to her good side, I could hear a snap or pop, though I can't be sure where it is coming from. It was something I could repeat over and over, which leads me to believe it is soft tissue related (at least in humans it would be) like tendonitis. When she sits she falls backwards, like she cannot get the leg behind her. I gave the leg a little posterior tug (yes I am a trained professional ;)) but it only seemed to help for a minute. I highly suspect some kind of tendon sprain or ligament damage as the hip didn't seem dislocated or subluxated. I mixed up an asprin in her water this morning for pain, but is there anything I can give her to bring down the swelling in the hip/spine area? Or is there anything else I can do for her? She is in her own coop and run (alone) as I was switching her to a different flock for breeding purposes.
Sorry about your hen. I use metacam for pain and swelling. It goes by other names as well like meloxicam. It is prescription only in UK but you may be able to get it in the US without. I hope she recovers soon.

One of my hens seems to have injured her hip. I have no idea what happened - she was fine Monday night and when I let her out Tuesday morning she limped twice then her leg gave out. She has been using her wing as a crutch and cannot stand on her right leg. When I got home from work last night I picked her up to examine her, and I can feel some swelling where her hip meets her spine, and I noticed she has been biting at that area.

When she sits she falls backwards, like she cannot get the leg behind her.

I mixed up an asprin in her water this morning for pain, but is there anything I can give her to bring down the swelling in the hip/spine area? Or is there anything else I can do for her?
An anti-inflammatory like Metacam would be prescription only in the US as well.
Do you have a vet?

keeping the chicken immobilized to minimize constant strain on the injured tissue will help.
Should I put her in a sling? She isn't moving much on her own, and I put her food and water close to where she sits so she doesn't have to move much.
Do you have a vet?
Not one that will treat chickens. They won't even do fecal floats for me. Around here if you call a vet regarding a chicken they basically hang up on you, lock the doors and pull the blinds like you are going to bring in a rabid wolf. I don't know why - as this is a very rural/farming community.

I take this homeopathic remedy and it seems to really help my ailments that are inflammation based. Does anyone know if these ingredients are safe for chickens? I believe they are all some type of flower.
20190612_085251.jpg
20190612_085332.jpg

Should I put her in a sling? She isn't moving much on her own, and I put her food and water close to where she sits so she doesn't have to move much.

Not one that will treat chickens. They won't even do fecal floats for me. Around here if you call a vet regarding a chicken they basically hang up on you, lock the doors and pull the blinds like you are going to bring in a rabid wolf. I don't know why - as this is a very rural/farming community.
You could try a sling for a few hours a day to see if that helps her out. It may change things up for her anyway.
Does the Aspirin seem to help at all?

I understand about the vets, it's just something I ask. Out of curiosity I've called all the offices here (even my own vet). At the time I called around there were 15 vet offices with an average of 3 vets per office (45 licensed vets!) I got the same thing - hung up on, laughed at, etc. This area is still farming/agricultural, but a lot of that is being phased out. If vet care isn't available, then you have to try to come up with your own treatment for sure.

You could try a sling for a few hours a day to see if that helps her out. It may change things up for her anyway.
Does the Aspirin seem to help at all?

I understand about the vets, it's just something I ask. Out of curiosity I've called all the offices here (even my own vet). At the time I called around there were 15 vet offices with an average of 3 vets per office (45 licensed vets!) I got the same thing - hung up on, laughed at, etc. This area is still farming/agricultural, but a lot of that is being phased out. If vet care isn't available, then you have to try to come up with your own treatment for sure.
Yeah, its crazy how the vets deny poultry!
I just gave her the asprin water this morning; about 2 hours ago, so I don't know if it has helped yet or not.

Back
Top Bottom