Anti Naked Neck Society

Which you prefer, Naked Neck or Buff Orpingtons?

• Total voters
Pics
angry oh my god GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas Rodgers

I've gotta be honest, I've never seen a horrible 'hatchery Orp' yet in this country. Is that where the English bit comes from? Maybe they're just better quality in England?
Probably. English Orps are the best orps, not sure what hatcheries are like where you are, but seeing as English Orps are from England (lol obviously) probably makes yours 1000x better.

I mean just look at this glorious beast.

1618847373125.png

Attachments

• 1618847378687.png
    1618847378687.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 2
I think naked necks are cute as like day old chicks but once they start losing the face fluff and gaining neck length its a little Yikes; unique though, for the people who are down for that

not sure what hatcheries are like where you are

I think it mostly comes down to this, how hatcheries are there. The U.S. is a HUUUUUGE country with a lot of demand for chicks, so our hatcheries tend to put quantity of chicks hatched over the quality of those chicks. In other words, a hen that lays a lot of eggs that can be hatched is priority over a hen that looks great. Many decades of selecting for productivity has led many of our hatchery strains of breeds to adapt a visually similar body shape, one adapted to high egg production, with the bulk of the visual differences between breeds lying only in feather color. This is where the infamous hatchery Buff Orpington comes from.

I think it mostly comes down to this, how hatcheries are there. The U.S. is a HUUUUUGE country with a lot of demand for chicks, so our hatcheries tend to put quantity of chicks hatched over the quality of those chicks. In other words, a hen that lays a lot of eggs that can be hatched is priority over a hen that looks great. Many decades of selecting for productivity has led many of our hatchery strains to adapt a visually similar body shape, one adapted to high egg production, with the bulk of the visual differences between breeds lying only in feather color. This is where the infamous hatchery Buff Orpington comes from.
Yep, US hatcheries, definitely select for production, not quality.

Wasn’t sure if hatcheries over there did the same, especially because they are a heck of a lot smaller.

Back
Top Bottom