Anti Pick or Blu Kote? Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cherylcohen, Dec 15, 2009.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Two of my girls had lost their tail feathers at the farm I got them from. It's been over 3 months I think and they still have no tail! I looked the other day and saw they were bloody in spots, so I immediately cleaned the area, (it's large) on both, applied neosporin and Anti-pick on top. It seems no matter how much anti-pick I apply by the time I get home and check these two out the anti pick is gone.

Any prognosis? Does that means it's all being pecked off? These two are the lowest on the chicken pole but very very sweet.

I thought about getting some of those apron thingies to protect them but it doesn't look like they cover the tail area.

Any ideas, oh wise ones?

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I haven't used anti-pick, but i have had a lot of success with a blue-kote type product. I have two pullets right now who were getting picked on and bloody. I sprayed them down two nights in a row with the blue stuff, and now they're not having problems anymore. If i start to see it fade, i will spray them again.

The blue stuff also worked well when they were babies, and the buffs were all getting pecked bloody. The blue stuff worked wonders.

The downside is that the dye stays a long time, so if your birds are light colored, especially, you will see little blue or purple spots until those feathers fall out or are replaced.

3. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Ok thanks, it even sounds easier cuz you spray it, did you put it into a sprayer or can it be found that way. One's a cuckoo maran and the other a wellsummer so I'll expect a little purple now and then on feathers growing out...hey maybe they'll lay a purple egg [​IMG]

4. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:The product i have is called 'wound-kote,' and i bought it in an aerosol spray. It is also available with a dobber, i think. It was around $10 i think, for about 8 oz, but i have done a lot of spraying, and i still have some left.

Also, beware, it's drippy and will get all over you as well. So if you have to be somewhere, wear old clothes and gloves. [​IMG]

5. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    does it taste bad to other chickens like the pick-no-more?

6. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I don't know about the pick-no-more, but when the other chickens (or sometimes the affected chicken) get it in their mouths, you will see them making funny faces, so i'm pretty sure it doesn't taste good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by