1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anti-predator protection?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by brownysfp, Feb 25, 2011.

1. brownysfp

brownysfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    Hi
    One of our neighbours says we should pee round the coop to deter predators. I'm not convinced, as an Englishman in rural France I suspect a p*ss-take. But, having lost six hens and four guinea fowl to something vicious in the woods, I'm all for upping the ante.
    Anyone know if it works or not?
    Tim, Correze, France

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I don't know if it works or not but most of our pens are set back in the woods and every so often I take our dogs out around the fence line to keep their scent fresh and I do my part to mark. lol

Steve

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    If you are not close to town out in the sticks it may work for a couple of days but then the fox get used to it and ignore it. if they are coming to a chicken coop they are ignoring human scent already the better the exclusion the less trapping that needs to be done. I catch fox every day , every other day and relieve myself on my trapline and still catch them. I do not worry that they will come to my traps hunger is a strong motivator.

4. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    One of those red flashing pest deterrant lights might help [​IMG] Love your original post though... those French think pissing is the answer to everything, silly folk! lol

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I would get a couple BIG LGD....like a Pyrenees. [​IMG]

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Aprophets observation is accurate. My marking works against predators that I can threaten with a good chase across pasture (like with racoons) or when scent is a new (as with foxes and coyotes). Predator must associate scent with potential harm. My dog lays a much better repelling scent because the predators know he is leaving it and my dog can back the scent up effectively with aggression if need be. Racoons not given a chase with actually approach scent marks if associated with food left behind, like a parks where picnics take place. Your predators have some smarts, try to use those smarts to your favor.

7. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    There is another logic to peeing around your coop. Start with coffee in the morning, then tea in the after noon, then beer in the evening. Every time you got to go, which will be often, go out to your coop. The predators will know you are there often either by seeing you or by your fresh scent and will look for a safer meal. You could also get a radio for your coop.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Anyone know if it works or not?

It may scare them if they come along in the first few minutes, but all types of urine quickly breaks down into ammonia, and may even attract some animals​

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Radios for me work only short term unless chickens kept in close proximity to horses. Adds an extra worry for predator?

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You could also get a radio for your coop.

Don't play Rap music.

Your chickens may start Break Dancing, and will lay scrambled eggs​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by