Anti-social chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmwright, Jul 14, 2010.

1. kmwright

kmwright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    I think my Wynadotte is a lone wolf. The other three of my pint sized-flock are always together. They chirp like crazy when they are apart and follow eachother everywhere. Lucy, the Wynadotte, is never with them. She'll wander off by herself. The other day I brought home mealworms. The three went crazy, climbing in our laps to get at the grub, and Lucy was just off by herself. She wouldn't come over to us. She's the one that was getting picked on by another and is just starting to grow her feathers back. Maybe she's holding a grudge? Is it just the breed?

2. TheBeatlesAddict

TheBeatlesAddict Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    elkhart, indiana
    I had a SLW roo who was like that despite being held and given attention everyday of his life. I think its something with their breed

3. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have a 12wk old GLW and she does hang out with her flock buddies, but doesn't like me - accept when I have treats. But she usually won't eat them out of my hand, only if I throw them on the ground. However, if yours has been picked on my another chicken and is at the bottom of the pecking order, she may be afraid. If you can get her away from the others, you might try just giving her some treats. That is what we did with an EE that seemed anti-social; she just didn't like being pecked. Her personality has improved a lot after the special attention.

4. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    My two 1 week old Wyandottes are similar in that they are the only two out of 8 that are more aloof and would rather just putter around amongst themselves. My GLW is VERY hand tame though, and is a sweetheart once I pick her up and very easy to pick up in the first place. The SLW is different. She flaps her wings to escape, chirps LOUDLY if she can't see the others in the brooding box, and would rather stay away from my hand. I had a major breakthrough with her last night though where she enjoyed roosting on my hand until my arm got tired...haha. She still doesn't like to be picked up, but she is now content on roosting on my hand when within eyesight of the rest of the flock.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I think it must be the breed. My two GLW's are aloof and are always off by themselves doing their own thing, the one-year old as well as the six-week old. The SLW's are more flockish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by