Anti social chuck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JulesAsh, Aug 20, 2016.

1. JulesAsh

JulesAsh New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    I recently rescued a young 18 months Silkie. She came to me as she was the only bantam in the flock and was being bullied. Initially she seemed to fit in well with my mixed flick including a Silkie cock and three other silkies. She got on well with the cock, she cleaned up and seemed happy and had started laying. Now the last week, she's isolated herself, hides in corners. Doesn't come out of the enclosure. She looks tatty and unkempt. I can walk up to her and pick her up and she's listless. I took her some fresh salad today she hasn't touched it. I haven't seen her being picked on at all they just seem to totally ignore her. She isn't going into the coop til dark and I have had to pick her up and take her to bed. Do chickens get depression? I'm at a loss how to help her.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

It sounds like you have a sick hen on your hands.....Do you have any thing to give her?
    Put her in a dog crate if you can and see how she does? I usually do not bother with mine...My one hen had sour crop and got over it on her own. Mine are not really pets but I enjoy them...
    Others here on this site will give you a one page letter on how to solve the issue...

Try oxy Tetra-A in her water for a week.

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

By hides in corners, is she acting like she's setting on a nest? I'm wondering if she's broody. Does she flatten out like a pancake, growl, etc?

4. 235chickens

235chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2015
    With my chickens
    I agree

5. 235chickens

235chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2015
    With my chickens
    Take her away from flock.You will be able to keep a eye on her.Check for runny poo or any thing out of the normal.
    Hope this helps.

Almost forgot welcome to bc [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. JulesAsh

JulesAsh New Egg

Aug 20, 2016

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I"d post in the Emergencies and Diseases section. Folks hang out there that could probably help you better.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by