Anti-social Plymouth Rock Hen Normal?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by For-The-Love-Of-Chickens, Apr 9, 2009.

1. For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

For-The-Love-Of-Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Washington State
    Our chicks are about 8-9 weeks old now and we enjoy watching their little chicken antics. I have noticed that we have one hen that doesn't act like the others. She has always been a little off.....not as energetic, curious, etc as the other chicks. We expected to lose her as a chick because she just didn't seem to thrive. Anyway....

When the other chicks are outside enjoying the sun, chasing flies, and running around, she stays inside alone. I have observed her to see what she is doing in there. She builds nests, and clucks/peeps to herself. She spends hours doing this! Rearranging pine shavings, fluffing her feathers and making herself as wide as possible, settling down into the nest, and then rearranging the pine shavings around herself. She eats and drinks normally, and with much coaxing will eventually go outside for a bit. Is this normal for a chick her age?!?[​IMG]

2. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    My barred rock is pretty laid back. Maybe it's just their nature?

3. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    I have 6 barred rocks, 3 roos and 3 hens, and you could not ask for more laid back chickens. The roos are the biggest in the coop but they let all of the underlings fight for rule of the roost and just beat up the occasional one that challenges them. They just kick back and enjoy life is the impression I get. They are very calm.

vortec

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by