Anti-water ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Butterflyhigh, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Butterflyhigh

Butterflyhigh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    I recently purchased 9 adult Muscovy's and 1 adult embden goose. They are all bonded to each other and came from an environment where they had access to a small kiddie pool of water. I have kept them penned for one week, hung out with them daily, and today finally allowed them to free-range my property.

I have a 1 acre pond. They showed NO interest in the pond. I herded them towards the water...and after watching them all huddle on the waters edge I finally nudged them into the water. They pretty much immediately got back out. Later in the day I did this again...they stayed in a tight knot for about 15 minutes, got out, and high-tailed it out of the pond area and back to their pen.

Do you think this disinterest in the water is just them not being well adjusted to their new home yet? I know Muscovy's tend to forage more than swim, but I am very surprised that the goose (who is the head honco and leader of the flock) hasn't been more interested.

This stinks because one of the reasons I really want ducks is to add activity to my pond.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Jennifer

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] before getting your goose and ducks on the pond I'd be sure there are no snapping turtles under water just waiting to snap off part of a foot or other body parts, we have seen some pretty bad injuries this year even ducklings being eaten. As far as getting them in ducks/geese are not easy to accept change and never having been in anything any larger than a kiddy pool I'm sure the pond looks daunting to them. My goose loves getting in the pool my gander not near as much [unless during mating] my Scovy's are usually in and out often during the day so I'm thinking they are afraid and in time they will try it. We just moved their pool from one part of the yard to another and it took them a few days to get use to that setup and get back in. Another thing too is how far is the pond from safety? meaning you and their sleeping quarters? being out in the open can be intimidating also. Maybe after you have cleared out all danger under water take a chair and go sit on the edge of the pond, they may feel much more comfortable having someone close by and relaxed with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by