Antibiotic...Duramycin? Anyone ever use this?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by oliviad51, Aug 15, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I had no idea where to post this...feel free to move it mods.

My chickens have been sneezing pretty bad for awhile so I got this antibiotic from the feed store.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...n-10-soluble-powder-antibiotic-6-4-oz-2206034

Has anyone ever used this with their chickens?? I just wanted to check with BYC before I used this. Do you all think this will help? It says on the back it will fight chronic respiratory disease

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010

2. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Songster

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    My wife is a nurse. Duramyacin is simpy tetracycline. Humasn take it too. It is a pretty broad spectrum (covers alot of things) antibiotic. I have used it. It works on chickens AND children, but not out of the same packet! [​IMG]

3. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Songster

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    Funny you should ask this - just last night found a thread on here. Dosage for chickens is 3/4 tsp. per quart of water. Lots of people use for chickens. Must make fresh every 24 hours. Give for 7 days. I am using if right now for a hen that got injured by a roo. Good luck to you.

4. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks! And it doesn't say anything about eating eggs...it does about eating the chicken, but I don't believe I saw anything about eggs. Im sure you can't eat eggs after the treatment but does anyone know for how long?

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    tetracycline will treat some infections in chickens. It will not treat colds. Is not very effective against egglaying bacterias in my opinion. Keep it fresh and give it a try if u have a lingering coughing. Never heard it to cure CRD it will treat it. Many diseases end up in the lungs if left untreated. So document their behavior when the coughing starts and u can get a better idea of diagnosing the affliction. I had an egg-carrying bacteria a year or so ago that they coughed for weeks then got lethargic. The chickens inflicted got it by eating spoiled eggs i had dumped from the incubator that failed. The chickens that were inflicted were cured with 1 or 2 injections of Tylan 50;(standards 1/2 cc). After 2 days they weren't showiing great improvement i gave them another dose. tetracycline is good for treating the entire flock. Every person in each home does not take antibiotics every time 1 person gets a cough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by