Antibiotic for Eye Injury?

2theDogz

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
I have a 3.5 mo old cockerel with an apparent eye injury. It's swollen shut, runny & a bit gooey. He's not displaying any respiratory symptoms & the other eye is fine, energy & appetite are good but it's clear the eye is bothering him. . I've been cleaning & treating with terramycin 3x daily for 3 days, and Giving some VetRx just in case. He's opening the eye a bit more now but it still looks pretty angry & icky.
I have Fishmox & liquamycin injectable on hand. Should I start him on one of these, or give the terramycin more time to work? And what method/dosage is best for liquamycin (oral or injection)?

2theDogz

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
Do you suspect it is MG or coryza?

This looks like the dose you are after:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/miracle-la-200-dosage-and-vetrx-for-crd-treatment.631458/
Thank you. I don't suspect serious illness at this point, as there are no other symptoms. Monitoring closely for respiratory signs though. Wondered about conjunctivitis as a possibility but he was in a pen with 9 others & they're all fine. So my gut says it's an injury. He's isolated in a crate but I let him out to forage with the others twice a day.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
If there is a lot of swelling, there may be pus that needs to be removed (gently squeezed) from the eye for the eye ointment to work. Flush it with saline eye wash twice a day, and clean the drainage, before applying the ointment to eye. If it is MG, the liquamycin (oxytetracycline) might help.

2theDogz

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
If there is a lot of swelling, there may be pus that needs to be removed (gently squeezed) from the eye for the eye ointment to work. Flush it with saline eye wash twice a day, and clean the drainage, before applying the ointment to eye. If it is MG, the liquamycin (oxytetracycline) might help.
Thank you. I just let them all out & the eye looks about 50% better. It's open now, reduced swelling & much less weepy. I think I'll give the terramycin another day before doing
Screenshot_20211207-092355.png
anything else. Forgot to mention I also put colloidal silver in his water.

Top Bottom