Antibiotic?? for quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by davedavey, Feb 15, 2014.

1. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    I am wondering what if any antibiotic can be used for quail?? I am ordering my first incubator soon. And am getting bobwhite and Cortunix eggs. I do have a dozen Cortunix "live birds" I bought last fall and my kids want me to incubate some of the eggs, from them also.

And I was just meaning antibiotics , like the medicated chick feed for chickens. But I heard that mix will kill quail and pheasants.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Last fall?They are way to old and will not hatch now.Pheasant eggs last about 15 days before fertility starts to drop.I'm sure quail don't last the 15 days.
    Antibiotics for what?What are you trying to treat?
    In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Any antibiotic can be used on quail. They are the same as all poultry or avian species. You do not need to use antibiotics on freshly hatched quail chicks as once thought. Probioitcs are the best choice for all hatchlings. Gives them a good start on life. You can use medicated feed that has amprolium in it to help prevent cocci if you wish although this is not necessary either. Good luck in all your quail adventures!

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, and X2 on the old eggs. Eggs only hold their fertility for a short period of time. And while I have heard of eggs hatching after several weeks kept in cool temps, generally the fertility starts to degrade after 10 days.

5. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    You guys are funny!! Twocrows thanks! and the other two I said I got a dozen cortinix that I want to hatch some of the eggs of them. Meaning from them, not old eggs I got live birds I will change my wording for you.

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sometimes we get confused. Specially at my age. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by