antibiotic-lots of math, LOL

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seminolewind, Aug 26, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I decided to treat my 3 hens for their bumblefoot. So I go to the feed store and ask. All they have is cattle bolus size Albon. A pill treats a 200 pound calf. So I buy the pill. It's 5 grams, which is 5000 milligrams. The dose for a 4 pound chicken is about 10 milligrams. So I put the pill in a cup of water and grind it up in the coffee grinder. Now I have 5000 milligrams in a cup of water which is 240 milliliters. And the dose comes out to a half a milliliter. There are 5 milliliters in a teaspoon. But since I'm a nurse I have a one ml. syringe, and now I can give the dose.

Moral? Sometimes you just have to make due with what you have.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

We need a post of the conversion breakdowns of different measurements for meds, especially for all us thats not great in math...... [​IMG]

3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    The active ingredient in Albon is Sulfadimethoxine, Its used to treat Cocci and Coryza in chickens..It will do nothing for bumblefoot.....

4. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    why not use Penicillin-G procaine, or other penicillin?
    or Baytril? even Cipro (ciproflaxin) might work if you're dealing with infection (usually staph).

I wouldn't use Albon.

did you oil the legs?(Bag Balm works well..some people use Vicks)

did you treat for mites?

http://shilala.homestead.com/ivomec.html

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by