1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

antibiotic ointment?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aspen47591, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Aspen47591

Aspen47591 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    One of my two month old Auracana chicks got her head stuck in the corner of the coop. We have the younger chickens divided from the older with a wall of pallets and she somehow got her head stuck where the pallet meets the wall.

Anyway, her head is raw, no active bleeding. I have moved her into my "infirmary", a cage in my master bathroom. This will help keep flies and other chickens from bothering her.

My question, other than keeping her wounds clean, is there an antibiotic ointment that I can apply to help fight infection?

I am quite worried about her. I think she also injured a wing. Her eyes are bright, she seems comfortable enough and she is eating. Any thoughts??

2. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    neosporen is one, bag balm works also. although bag balm is my preferred choice the other i think is cheaper.

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* You can use neosporin as long as it is WITHOUT benzocaine pain reliever added.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*darn dp's.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  5. Aspen47591

Aspen47591 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    Thanks so much. I will pick up some neosporin when I get up tomorrow. Send good thoughts to my little chicken!!

6. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    sorry yes that is correct, i forget they make it with it. u want the one WITHOUT. best wishes for ur little one, i hope it helps and is better soon.
    silkie

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by