Antibiotic powder - how to give??

Johnchickens2

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Hi. I have a sick hen which is in need for antibiotics. It comes in powder. When I try to mix it with water - first it doesnt mix well, and also - she shakes her head and nothing goes inside. I have tried the coconut oil method - but its very hot here now, by the time I carry it to her (she is isolated in the coop), it melts! She DOESN'T eat on her own. I feed her by the tube feeding method. Should I mix the powder with her food and then tube feed her? Any other ideas how to make her take the right dose of powder? Thank you all

Hi. I have a sick hen which is in need for antibiotics. It comes in powder. When I try to mix it with water - first it doesnt mix well, and also - she shakes her head and nothing goes inside. I have tried the coconut oil method - but its very hot here now, by the time I carry it to her (she is isolated in the coop), it melts! She DOESN'T eat on her own. I feed her by the tube feeding method. Should I mix the powder with her food and then tube feed her? Any other ideas how to make her take the right dose of powder? Thank you all
If you are already tube feeding her then I would adminster the antibiotic with whatever you feed her with.

What is the name of the medication, what are you giving it for, and the dosage? How is it normally given? Any label pictures could be helpful. Some antibiotic powders from my career working in a pediatric hospital, are not water soluble, especially ones in capsules. If you can figure the correct dosage, many will put it in a small amount of cooked or scrambled egg, cream cheese, peanut butter, or yogurt. If you mix it in coconut oil, try refrigerating it just before and cutting it into small pieces. As for yogurt, it will work with a syringe if you are tube feeding. Tylosin powder, one that is commonly used, has to be added to the water, but will not mix easily if the water is added to the powder.

What is the name of the medication, what are you giving it for, and the dosage? How is it normally given? Any label pictures could be helpful. Some antibiotic powders from my career working in a pediatric hospital, are not water soluble, especially ones in capsules. If you can figure the correct dosage, many will put it in a small amount of cooked or scrambled egg, cream cheese, peanut butter, or yogurt. If you mix it in coconut oil, try refrigerating it just before and cutting it into small pieces. As for yogurt, it will work with a syringe if you are tube feeding. Tylosin powder, one that is commonly used, has to be added to the water, but will not mix easily if the water is added to the powder.
Thank you very much. Its Amoxicillin. I have to give her about 120 mg twice a day. Cream cheese sounds like a good idea - as far as its ok to mix the Amoxicillin powder with cream cheese???

Maybe I can put a whole capdule of 500 mg into a cup of cream cheese, and then divide it? I mean, 1/4 of the cheese mix will actually be 1/4 capsule??? If it can work like that, it will be much easier.

Thank you very much. Its Amoxicillin. I have to give her about 120 mg twice a day. Cream cheese sounds like a good idea - as far as its ok to mix the Amoxicillin powder with cream cheese???

Maybe I can put a whole capdule of 500 mg into a cup of cream cheese, and then divide it? I mean, 1/4 of the cheese mix will actually be 1/4 capsule??? If it can work like that, it will be much easier.
I wouldn't mix it with a cup of cream cheese. That's a lot.

Mix the powder with food you are tubing.

Or if you feel you need to be more precise, then dump your 500mg powder into 1 teaspoon coconut oil. Mix well. Then split that 1 tsp of mixed coconut oil into 4 equal parts. Roll each part into balls or a pill like form. Put them in the freezer to harden the coconut oil. 1 of those ball or pills will equal approx. 125mg, give her 1 of those twice a day.

I agree with Wyorp Rock. You only need a small amount to combine with the contents of a 500 mg capsule or crushed tablet. I add enough cream cheese or oil, and mix, mix, mix well. Then cut it into 4 portions. Refrigerate until needed.

Back
Top Bottom