Antibiotic question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by k9trainer, Dec 2, 2007.

1. k9trainer

k9trainer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2007
    Ovilla, Texas
    I have recently treated two of my hens for some ailment. I still don't know what it was but Tylan 50 and Teramycin cleared it up. I treated them for four days. I don't expect them to lay for another 3-4 weeks, but is there any kind of risk with eating the eggs? I went ahead and left the teramycin in the waterers until they emptied. What are some of your thoughts?

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I'm not sure, but if the product is approved for poultry there should be a "withhold" period listed on the label.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If you don't know the withdrawal period, I would wait at least a month after they have completed the meds before consuming eggs. JMO According to a chart I have...

Terramycin is meat-7 days and eggs - 24 hours. Tylan has meat with no withdrawal period and is not approved for poultry laying eggs for human consumption. That's a bit confusing.

Jody

4. k9trainer

k9trainer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2007
    Ovilla, Texas
    So with the Tylan should I not eat the eggs at all? ? Would you think a month is safe enough?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by