Antibiotic question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kaydot, Oct 27, 2010.

1. kaydot

kaydot New Egg

Oct 27, 2010
    One of our girls was attacked by a dog on October 19. She survived (after a $500 trip to the emergency vet... yikes!) and just finished her last dose of Clavamox last night. How long do I need to wait for it to get out of her system before we can start eating her eggs again? Thanks!

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I wouldn't wait too long. She owes you $500 worth of eggs & hens don't live forever.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Oh, darn. I can't remember. Why don't you just call up the vet who prescribed it?

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I belive Clavamox is off lable for chickens so you will likely need to ask your vet. The official word might be you should never eat the eggs. It is a detail many people tend to avoid even talking about.

It is not always just as simple as having the drug leave the chickens system, antibiotic use can cause the development of antibiotic resistant germs to be formed in the chicken which can be passed through the egg long after the meds are gone.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4805686

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:That would be the case with any antibiotic use then, including those that have been approved for use on chickens. Personally, I wouldn't worry about antibiotic resistant bacteria coming from my own chicken when our environment is already saturated with antibiotics from large scale operations:

http://www.mtu.edu/news/stories/2010/april/story25570.html

6. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Personally that is my feeling too, I tend to keep my immune system well exercised and don't worry much about eating my own chickens and their eggs which have been exposed to wormers and antibiotics. But for some people that might have weaker immune systems it might not be a risk worth taking. Certainly when general regs and licencing of antibiotics is set out it is done targeting large scale farming products sold to the public with the whole general population in mind including those that might have weaker immune systems.

I think there are some differences though depending on which antibiotics, some sound like they tend to encorage the development of antibiotic resistant bacteria more than others. Also the doctors have more worries about some drug resistance than others. For example not as big a worry about a germ becoming resistant to penicilin as ther would be to newer more powerfull antibiotics. So much is resistant to penicilian now that it is not a worry like it is if one of the last resort antibiotics becomes ineffective.

If anyone is going to use antibiotics, esp off lable best they do their homework so they at least know the risks and make informed decisions.

Just seam so many people give advice about egg and meat withdrawal periods that are not consistent with what is set out by manufacturers or regulatory bodies. One never knows if they are giving advice to a healthy person who will have no issues with respect to eating eggs or someone who might have a weakened system and could be made very sick.

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    i have a little roo that is on Duramacyin right now, My vet told me if my layers start to show symptoms and I have to treat them then I cant eat the egss for 10 days after treatment. You can feed the eggs back to the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by