Antibiotic recommendation please

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fernandclucks, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Fernandclucks

Fernandclucks New Egg

Mar 29, 2016
    Houston
    Hi there I'm new to here and have a question. I got to chicks and they are in the brooder under heat lamp. I've had them for a week and the one has come down with upper respiratory infection. Watery eyes and gasps but eats and drinks. The only thing I have on hand right now is amox 250mg capsule. Is this safe ?

2. Fernandclucks

Fernandclucks New Egg

Mar 29, 2016
    Houston
    Sorry two not to chicks

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - I'm sorry that i can't help you out on this one -I live in Kenya and the drugs available here are not always the same as elsewhere. My first suggestion would be to put electrolytes / vitamin supplements in their drinking water as it will help give their immune system a break.

At the same time, I'd suggest you make a re-post of your question in the "emergencies, diseases, injuries and cures" forum to get the best response.

all the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sorry I wouldn't know either, but, do post on the ER thread in fullest detail.

1 person likes this.
  5. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

While you are waiting to hear from someone on the emergencies forum, separate the wheezy one out from the others so they don't get sick too. Keep the sick one warm and give her a small plush toy for company (they get lonesome by themselves).

Good luck, I hope she'll be ok!

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. Fernandclucks

Fernandclucks New Egg

Mar 29, 2016
    Houston
    Thank you for the input they are separated under heat lamp less nasal drainage today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by