1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

antibiotic-resistant bacteria from chicken transport trucks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wasatusay, Feb 28, 2009.

1. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Was not sure where to post this, but was wondering if anyone has ever read this? I live where chicken slaughter trucks run past my house all the time, not to mention being in traffic with them. I found this by accident tonight and have never heard of this before. I am now wondering if it can be bad for anyone who lives on a heavily traveled road by these trucks IE; Poultry, Cows, Goats etc... who are close to these roads.?
    http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnews/press_releases/2008/rule_chicken_transport.html

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Great, I'm in the poultry capital of the world. I see trucks all day.

3. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Great, I'm in the poultry capital of the world. I see trucks all day

I bought this home in 96 and I am on a road they travel constantly. I have been in the area for over 30 years. I never get near the trucks since I don't agree on how they handle the chickens but have never heard of this before. I guess if it is a $$ business you make sure the information does not leak out in your area? We were Goldkist once here but have been Pilgrims Pride for years.​

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Our biggies are Marjac,Con-agra and Fieldale. My first chicken ever was a broiler that had fallen out and was on the side of the road.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by