Antibiotic to treat respiratory issue in flock of 40

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amsunshine, Sep 17, 2013.

1. amsunshine

amsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Kansas
    I have a flock of 40, and a significant number are struggling with a respiratory issue. It's a slow-moving thing, but will make affected hens stop laying eggs. It affected other chickens a long time ago (successfully treated individually with Baytril) and now it's back. Does anyone know of an antibiotic I can use to treat this many? Perhaps something I can put in the water? The powdered Tetracycline is too weak and does not work. I have Baytril I got from the vet, and that does work on the 3 that I treated some time ago. But there's got to be a better solution than to stand there and give pills or liquid to this many twice a day. Thanks in advance.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. amsunshine

Mar 24, 2010
    Kansas
    Thank you, I was really wondering what I could do. It says not to use on flocks of laying hens, but if I administer, then is there a period of withdrawl? Or can I not use it at all in laying hens? Thank you in advance.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There's a one day withdrawal period for both the tylan soluable and gallimycin soluable powders.

5. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    You may want to check out Denagard, to keep it from coming back.

6. amsunshine

Mar 24, 2010
    Kansas
    Thanks everyone, I've been reading through all the info. Very thorough reply, and I appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by