Antibiotic type and dosage for bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tmberghst, Sep 29, 2010.

1. tmberghst

tmberghst Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    Out of my 14 birds mixed flock.About half have bumblefoot from barely noticeable to 2 that i will be operating on tomorrow.Would like to give them all some type off antibiotic treatment.I have penicillin g on hand.Will this be as good as any antibiotic, and what would the dosage be in a cc measurement ,most weigh around 5 pounds ,how many days, and should I inject this in BREAST-LEG-or Wing. THANKS VERY MUCH DON

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I believe if you research it that you will find that people on here with a lot of experience with bumblefoot have found that antibiotics make no difference; they only need the local treatment..

The injection would go in the breast, but you need to know how to do it, to be sure you don't do more harm than good.

I have no idea which would be the best antibiotic, if you are going to use one.

3. tmberghst

tmberghst Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    As for giving shots I have done this many times in the past,am fairly proficient on that part.I was hoping some type of anti would help the birds that are barely showing symptoms,small brown scab on foot bottom , very small on most of the birds,but no swelling yet, in hopes to help head this off before it gets worse.As for shot location have given shots in the breast in the past.But have no desire to do this if it will not help. THANKS AGAIN DON

4. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    The Chicken Dr. told me if you catch it early, Cephalexin (Fish-Flex) 250mg capsules will help. 1 capsule per bird twice daily for 14 days. If it's too advanced it probably won't help. At that point I mix the antibiotic w/DMSO (a solvent) and Metacam (a pain killer) and apply a few drops to the feet twice a day for 2 weeks. DMSO makes the drugs get absorbed through the skin to the infection inside. [​IMG]

Drother likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by