Antibiotics and egglaying question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigdaddyabc, May 26, 2010.

1. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    OK, I get that some small trace of whatever antibiotic I may have to give my flock in the future could or will get into their eggs. Other than my own lack of desire to injest the medicine myself, is there some other reason humans shouldn't eat those eggs? Do the drugs cause the eggs to somehow become bacteria filled or poisionous? What is the deal?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    You know, that's a good question. It probably has to do with liability of the company (antibiotic) and people injesting it. You know, no people testing yada yada yada [​IMG]

3. bigdaddyabc

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    My wife is a nurse. When we were at the feed store she was perplexed by the fact that almost EVERY drug offered was identical to the ones used in humans, except for the price! And, since I have taken tetracycline before (Duramycin) why not eat the eggs??

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you're selling or giving away your eggs to other people, you need to be concerned about people that may be allergic to whatever antibiotic you used, if you haven't followed an adequate withdrawl period. That's always been my understanding. Some people can have dangerous reactions.

5. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Good question my chickens have been off tetra for 5 days, I have not kept any eggs since they were on this. How many days before I should be able to eat the eggs again?

6. bigdaddyabc

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Quote:So there is no reason why my family who is not allergic to anything, should not eat the eggs. I just don't want to hurt any neighbors if they are allergic. Got it. I probably won't sell many at first, but later on I will. Happily, my little (40+ is little, isn't it??) flock is happy and healthy!

7. sjh

sjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Quote:Look on the package. See the 800 #. Call it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by