Antibiotics and fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Must Be Losing It, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I have a neighbor who is offering me some fertile eggs to see what happens (RIR/Silkie mix) but they happen to be on antibiotics right now. So here's the question. Will they hatch? Or do the antibiotics kill the embryo?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They will probably hatch, however, what are her birds on antibiotics for? Some diseases are passed through the egg, especially when they are in the middle of the infection.

3. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    He does the antibiotic thing when he adds new birds and he just got a batch from a farm that he finally moved into the main coop with the birds who arte laying the eggs he is giving me.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, I cant say for sure, but I did some research on wormers and almost every one said they do not affect fertility. Probably you'll get them to hatch. His practice of antibiotics I have a problem with, since all he's doing is building up resistant bacteria if he's treating birds who are not ill, but that's another issue. So, you could certainly try to hatch them if you are confident that there are no health issues that could be passed onto the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by