Antibiotics for baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alexismosh, May 12, 2011.

1. alexismosh

alexismosh New Egg

May 12, 2011
    Hello! I just joined this group and i'm looking for some guidance. We just brought home 12 baby chicks and i'm not 100% sure what to give them for supplements. I purchased them the medicated chick starter. The guy at agway told me to buy Wazine 17, but when I got home and researched it, it seems like i don't need it and you don't use it until they are older.

My questions are:

1. SHould i deworm them or return that?
    2. What is the powder antibiotic called and you add to the water and should i do that?
    3. Any other helpful advice?

I've wanted chickens since i was very young and I'm very excited to now share this experience with my 2 young daughters!

Thanks everyone for you help!

2. mitchell3006

mitchell3006 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    You don't need the wormer right now. It would probably kill them as young as they are. They haven't been exposed yet if they are not on dirt and the worms haven't had time to grow if they are. On the antibiotics I would stay away from them unless the chicks become symptomatic. Commercial houses poor that junk to them to try to make up for poor cramped living conditions. Enjoy the time with your babies! Both types!

3. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    The wazine is for worming - and you won't need that for a while. I would wait until they were 6 months to a year old before worming. It's only generally needed to be done once or twice per year depending on your preference. Some people never de-worm but you probably should every now and then. If it'll last for a while - keep it as you'll end up using it anyway.

The antibiotic is Duramycin. Make sure the medicated feed is to prevent cocci - that is the biggest concern when they are chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by