Antibiotics for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MTChick2009, Apr 14, 2009.

1. MTChick2009

MTChick2009 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Montana
    Hello Everyone,

We just got some chicks and at the farm supply store they reccommended getting Duramyacin to add to the chicks water, to keep them healthy. I am new to this, so I am just wondering if it is neccessary and also, the package to said to add 200 milligrams to a gallon of water, and I am not sure how to measure that?? any suggestions?

Thanks for any input you may have!

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I bet you went to TSC, cos that's about what their care sheet recommended.

I didn't buy it for my chicks.
    So long as your chicks are healthy I wouldn't give them antibiotics just for the heck of it. Their little systems are already somewhat stressed from being manhandled in the store.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I wouldn't put them on anything other than medicated feed unless there is something obvious- they can build up a resistance to antibiotics then when you do need it, it won't be effective-

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

deleted

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  5. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I wouldn't add any antibiotics into the water either, they aren't sick anyway. Powdered electrolytes in the water is fine IMO but not absolutly needed. Most people on this site say that new chicks only need fresh clean water at least 2-3 times a day, fresh food in the brooder all the time, heat of 90-95 degress for the first week and a dry and protective/safe place to sleep and live. If they were not immunized at the hatchery or the farm store you could feed medicated feed if you like to help develope cocci antibodies. Good luck to you and your new chicks, you are going to do great!

6. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

JenMT...very well said, I am with you.

Kycklingmamma

7. Ckn woman

Ckn woman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    I bought my first batch of chicks from TSC and I did buy the antibiotic. I gave it to my chicks for like a week and then I logged on to BYC they everyone I asked said do not give it to them so I took them off. They are perfectly healthy and thriving.

8. MTChick2009

MTChick2009 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Montana
    Thank you all for the info! Yes, I did get the chick essentials at TSC. I didn't feel right giving them something they didn't need, but was not sure if the chicks needed it or not. I will have to ask if they were vaccinated or not. I did not see any medicated feed at TSC. Changing the water frequently, they only got a tiny bit of the antibiotic.

I also read that chicks only like cold water, but it gets warm quickly in the 90* brooder, is there anyway to keep the water cooler other than changing it more often?

9. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    My chicks seemed to like water that was about 50-60 degrees....your guys may be different. I think that when they are really little it is hard for them to maintain a healthy warm body temp when the water is too cold. When my girls were really small and the brooder really warm I had to change the water like every hour or so it didn't get too hot. Keep the waterer at the far end of the brooder away from the heat light. When they get older and it is hot in the summer I was thinking about adding ice to the water to keep it cool for them. You are doing great and asking all the same questions we all asked early on! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by