antibiotics for duck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maralynn28, Sep 14, 2010.

1. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Hi all, my ducks were attacked by dog this weekend and I've been having a hard time getting them antibiotics. I was able to find "duramycin-10" tetracyclide hydrochloride which they said was good for poultry but I want to be sure it's ok for the duck...I don't want to give them something to help them that may be potentially fatal! Also, it's suppoed to go in their water. Thank you!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't think you should give your ducks antibiotic before asking a vet or without looking on line. Antibiotics can be lethal to ducks and geese. When my duck and goose got into a fight my goose was pretty beat up my vet looked up what he could take and I just went and picked it up. Better safe than sorry. hope they heal quickly, ducks have a very high body temp. which means they heal rather quickly without much intervention

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  3. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thanks Miss Lydia,
    I had actually received a lot of replies saying I should, but I was not able to get the kind listed in storeys guide or from the advice here on BYC so I won't give them any unless I hear otherwise. The feed store emp said it would be fine but I knoow they aren't always correct.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by