Antibiotics for entire flock, 90 chickens, chicks. how to give?

GhettoRoo

Songster
5 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Hi. as i wrote there before 2 days, im freaking out, and noone gives a answer.

I slaughter all symptoms showing grown up old hens, but today I found out one breed chick 9 weeks old, had to start puffy face shown up.

Enough. Im giving everyone antibiotics.

Guess tylan is the best one, going to find in my country.

Should I give to those on whichs I saw the virus? I guess I should give to every one.

Last edited:
Once a disease such as the chronic respiratory diseases (MG, coryza, ILT, or others) is on your property, and there is one bird left alive, it can infect any bird that comes in or is hatched on your property. Some diseases are passed through hatching eggs. So to save money, time, and worry, it would be best to have a bird tested, or better, to sacrifice one to your vet for a necropsy. This is why most big chicken farms will kill any chicken that so much as acts sick.

You can end up spending thousands of dollars on medicines to treat sick birds who will keep passing it to others, and they can get sick again and again. MG (mycoplasma) or coryza only stay on equipment and in the environment for 2 or 3 days. ILT can last for months. So if you cull all birds including other fowl, clean disinfect, you can get healthy birds and start over without disease. But if you have Mareks disease, that will remain active for as much as seven years. So knowing which disease(s) can really help you.

For treating MG, Denagard (tiamulin) or Tylan (tylosin) are best, oxytetracycline or erythromycin can also be used.
For coryza, sulfa antibiotics are better, and may be used in conjunction with Tylan. These will only treat symptoms, not cure the diseases, and they will still remain carriers for life.

Here are some articles you can read about these diseases and their symptoms:
http://umaine.edu/livestock/poultry/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-faq/
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...tion-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens/
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza/
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p...verview_of_infectious_coryza_in_chickens.html
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p..._infectious_laryngotracheitis_in_poultry.html

Im going to give enroxil to everyone in water.

In the water might work if they drink enough of if, but that medication is bitter, so they might not want to drink the water. If they were mine I would treat only the sick ones, and I would do it orally.

-Kathy

@GhettoRoo , you should know that in the US that drug is banned for use in poultry. Even though it's banned, I still use it, but I don't eat the eggs or meat for 28 days after using it.

-Kathy

In the water might work if they drink enough of if, but that medication is bitter, so they might not want to drink the water. If they were mine I would treat only the sick ones, and I would do it orally.

-Kathy
Yes. Woman from my country which gave me some information, sugested to treat only sick ones too. I thought to do that, but I saw that every third chicken is shaking head, and I feel that whole flock is fighting something inside them, + see few puffy faces coming out. So, this was like mine calculated move.
Im sick by myself to, im moving like in autopilot too, hard time now.
And If I would give antibiotics on few hens, I wont know, which eggs I cant eat.

@GhettoRoo , you should know that in the US that drug is banned for use in poultry. Even though it's banned, I still use it, but I don't eat the eggs or meat for 28 days after using it.

-Kathy
Ohh. ya, Woman told that after this, the eggs could be longer sour.
28 days, dam.n. I prepared for 14 days. Clients waiting. Finding somewhere to buy eggs, to resale.

+, ya, this is pretty strong antibiotic, I probably should take something easier, like Norodine 24, sulfa antibitoics.
It is what it is now.

If the birds aint gonna drink all water with antibiotics, im gonna mix it in a food, my laying mash: patatos, peas, flour, vitamins.

I should probably watch for chicken joints, legs, swelling too.

So, im trying to up protein dosages, vitamins, and let them range in sun as long as can.
Anymore sugestions?
Im desinfecting coop, throwing desinfection powders in air.

If there gonna be very sick ones, like with fully puffy eye, and watery eye, im gonna put it isolated.

..Fermented, milk curd.

Last edited:

-Kathy

Why shouldnt eat eggs so long? Bad taste?

[@=/u/311600/GhettoRoo]@GhettoRoo[/@] , you should know that in the US that drug is banned for use in poultry. Even though it's banned, I still use it, but I don't eat the eggs or meat for 28 days after using it.

-Kathy

Why shouldnt eat eggs so long? Bad taste?

Because of the drug residue in the eggs and meat.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom