antibiotics for respiratory and eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FromChictoChick, Feb 5, 2013.

1. FromChictoChick

FromChictoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    I lost a pullet yesterday. Today a yr old buff orpington appeared to have clear bubbles in one eye and I think I heard faint sneeze.

All otherwise appear healthy, active, good appetites and those of laying age do seem to be laying, good weights aand glossy feathers

I put Apple cider vinegar in water

I try to keep my flock all natural. If I treat for
    respiratory illness:
    Is there an effective natural treatment?
    If I have to use an antibiotic what should I use and will the eggs be unsafe? If so, how long?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

POSTING GUIDELINES for Emergencies / Diseases and Cures.

Please help us to help you.
    When you need to post in the "Emergencies / Diseases and Cures" section please make the title of your thread concise and specific. For example, to title a thread "HELP" or "URGENT" or "EMERGENCY", etc., is not helpful for us or for you. Nor is telling us "my hen is sick, what should I do?" A good example of a new thread subject: "Chicken got into the pool-barely breathing! Help!"

Off topic posts will be moved, with an explanation, to an area better suited to that post.

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Remember that we are not veterinarians. We help based on our own research and experiences.
    We cannot monitor the board 24/7, and therefore do not guarantee we can always help, much as we would wish to.
    We should never be a replacement if real medical attention is required.
    If your situation seems to require a trip to the vet, please do so. It is always a good idea to know of an avian vet in your area in case your situation is bad enough that we cannot help. We encourage you to visit the Reference Forum and read up there before you need the information.

Some important links to read:

Links to disease symptoms and information
    Chicken Anatomy
    Friendly Reminder-PLEASE Quarantine Newly Purchased Birds!

Thank you!

The BYC Staff

3. FromChictoChick

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    I'm not sure what I did incorrectly, please advise

I listed the symptoms and the hen's age, condition, etc
    Coop is dry and ventilated. Weather is cold (Massachusetts)
    Feed is naturewise and is new and well stored

Appetites normal, activity normal, stools seem normal, feathers glossy
    Hens of laying age seem to be laying normally for season

Symptoms: bubbles (clear) in one eye of buff orpington hen (1yo) possibly sneezing. Didn't see nasal discharge

pullet fbcm died this morning after signs of illness yesterday including raspy/wheezy, lethargic, puffed up feathers, drooped tail, eyes closed

How do I treat respiratory ailment?
    Is there a natural, effective treatment?
    If not, what antibiotics do I use and does it effect eggs (if so, how long? )

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Bubbles in the eye, faint sneezing...it could be an environmental issue such as ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, dirt or debris in her eye, feed dust, pollen, pesticide use. All these can be corrected or eliminated. However, it could possibly be the onset of a respiratory disease. Respiratory diseases are contageous to other chickens. Some respiratory diseases are treatable with antibiotics but birds are never cured and survivors are carriers. If you decide to treat and not cull the sick bird, tylan 50 injectable would be a good choice to treat your BO. Keep in mind that you'll have to maintain a closed flock, remember biosecurity.

5. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

sorry dear, I wasn't implying that you did anything incorrectly. But you did give good additional information. :) I was just trying to help. :) Best wishes.

6. FromChictoChick

Apr 13, 2012
    MA
    My Coop
    I don't keep roos so breeding isn't an issue. Only 10 backyard hens.

If it's respiratory and I don't cull... Are the eggs safe to eat and I sell to family/friends/coworkers?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I never mentioned anything about roosters or breeding. Most respiratory diseases are passed through eggs. The ethical and moral thing to do is to inform your family/friends/coworkers that you are selling eggs from possibly diseased bird(s.) Then let them decide what to do. Perhaps you can eat a boiled egg in front of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by