1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Antibiotics in Eggs for School Science Project

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sophiem, Mar 4, 2017.

1. sophiem

sophiem New Egg

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi everyone,

I have 11 chickens at my house and we are currently de-worming them. My mum says that we are not allowed to eat their eggs over a period of about 2 weeks. This inspired me to do my school science project about my chickens and how what they eat processes into the eggs. I want to test the difference between eggs with antibiotics inside them and eggs without antibiotics and see how concentrated the antibiotic discharge is in the egg. I mainly want to find out if the natural supplements, food and antibiotics all process through the chicken and into the eggs. I am having difficulty finding a method that coincides with this investigation as my main goal is to test if what they eat manifests itself into the eggs.

Please share any ideas,
    Thankyou!!
    [​IMG]

2. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    All antibiotics and chemicals introduced into their body will reside in the egg but I don't think the food does. Like a rooster's fertility goes into the egg but can be invisible until incubated

3. sophiem

sophiem New Egg

Mar 4, 2017
    Thankyou! Do you happen to know what's inside the antibiotics that processes it through into the egg? I was also going to make a pellet (as an additional part of the task because it has to 'help people in the world') with a natural herbal supplement called Artemisinin that helps aid malaria. Is it possible that this will process into the egg? How would I test this?
    (sorry for all of the questions)

4. WilloughbyStead

WilloughbyStead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2016
    USA-FL
    [​IMG] I'm not sure of any ideas at this moment on how to help, but just wanted to say good luck!

5. sophiem

sophiem New Egg

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi everyone (again),

I have altered my experiment and need to test the levels of this antibiotic in the egg, please can someone tell where in the egg and what can I use to test this?

Thank you for all the help everyone!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by