1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

antibiotics / what / how much

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dee Dee 2, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    Buff chick. Lathargic. Not eating or drinking. Eyes open. Allert. Just sits. NOT EGG BOUND / NOT PARASITES. VERY GREEN POOP, MEDIUM CONSISTY. Should I give an oral antibotic ? If so what and how much ? THANKS !

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old is the chick? It sounds like it could have Coccidiosis, or some sort of infection. In the case of Coccidiosis, the treatment would be 9.6% Corid liquid or 20% Corid powder. Dosage for the liquid would be 2 teaspoons/gal, and the powder would be 3/4 teaspoon/gallon (I think--I know there is some controversy on the topic).

An oral antibiotic (or Corid) won't be effective unless you can get the chick to eat and drink, but if you can (through tube feeding, etc.), then two good antibiotics are Oxytetracycline (Terramycin, Duramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280) and Tylan50. The dosage for oxytetracycline varies depending on the product; I do know that the Tetroxy dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per quart of drinking water given for 7-14 days. I'm not sure of the water soluble Tylan50 dosage, as I've only used the injectable version.

4. conniesnow

conniesnow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    alabama
    Will a vitamin defecincy cause a hen to be lethargic and not eat ver much?...i have a hen that sleeps alot....she eats very little and drinks alot.....i have already checked her for mites and egg bound..its neither one of those...i have dewormed her...treated her for coccidia...no change......got her on tylan 50 oraly...not much change.....could it possably be a vitiman deficency.....i have posted twice on this piticular hen and have not got no response from anyone.....could someone please help me on this one.....she is only 8 months old and i dont want to lose her.....she is just a lap baby....

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    No, I don't think a vitamin deficiency would cause problems like that. But it still wouldn't hurt to give her some, as they will help with stress and give her plenty of nutrients. I honestly don't know what is wrong with your hen, though. You seemed to have checked for all the usual things, and done everything that I would have. What dosage for coccidia and Tylan50 did you use? Lethargy and a poor appettite, combined with drinking a lot have almost always been signs of Coccidiosis, in my experience. Tylan50 should have cured any infection that she had. Does she walk normally (no waddling, upright stance, etc.? Maybe its something viral that an antibiotic won't cure?

Sorry I can't help, I hope she recovers!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

7. conniesnow

Aug 5, 2010
    alabama
    Thank u 2 so much....would it hurt to give her the vitimans with the tylan 50?....I give a tsp of corid to a half gallon of water for 7 days....the poor appetite a drinking a lot of water was my thoughts to....she walks fine and stands fine no waddling....just stands and sleeps a lot.....the tylan 50 i give .25 ccs 2x a day...she has one more day of that ..I really appriciate u alls response....u just don't know how much I appreciate it...thank u so much...

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You have done a lot for her already. Does she have an impacted crop or sour crop? Possibly laying internally so that she feels bad?

9. conniesnow

Aug 5, 2010
    alabama
    Hello eggcessive....I really love this little silky...i would do anything i could for her if I knew it would help her....I have already checked her crop it is good....how would I knowif shevwas laying internally for sure?....I have checked her abdoman and compared it with the other hens and it feels normal....if she is laying internally what do I look for?.....thanks

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I read back over everything and see that she is a chick, and I guess she isn't laying yet, is that correct? She may be pretty wiped out from all of the meds, so I would try to get her to drink or eat eggs, tuna, or anything else to get calories in. She needs vitamins and probiotics in her water, plus food. Tube feeding may be all I would know left to do unless you can syringe feed her, and the risk of choking is bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by