antibiotics...where can you get them??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Aug 31, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    my vet is refusing to write a prescription for anti-b's for my chickens until hes had one in and done tests. he's asking €55 for the consultation slot alone then god knows what for the tests and anti b's i know i'll need in the end (one roo very sick, another found dead, cocci meds didnt work so would like to try anti bs)

is there maybe somewhere online i can buy them...from the states or so? its gotta work out cheaper than paying a dozy just out of med school kid who has no knowledge in poultry (he said so himself hence why he wants to do all these tests!)

2. dmccann

dmccann Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Do you have a tractor Supply ?

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    not in belgium [​IMG]

4. Raising Reds

Raising Reds In the Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    North Carolina
    My local Feed & Seed store sells dewormers and antibiotics that you mix in with their water - no questions asked. If you have a chain like Tractor's Supply or Southern States around they may carry it too.

Good luck. I hope you find a supply.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    The system is different in Europe. We can't just walk into a store and buy antibiotics unfortunately. A vets prescription is needed at all times, even for online stores. I can't see a way around it Spish, sorry.

6. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    darn.......

think im gonna try a different vets [​IMG] this one wants over €200 for a series of tests and examinations which i dont think are needed, but he wont write a prescription without. and as much as i love my chickens i cant justify spending €200+ on them (especially when not needed)

off to look up some other vets [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  7. dmccann

dmccann Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    How about Jeffers it is a mail order supplier?

8. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    have never heard of it....?

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    Could you have someone state side buy you some and mail them? Ofcourse it might not get through customs.My dh's family always BROUGHT meds with them(human meds) when they visited,so we had a stock and did not require a $120 office visit to get some.Anyone you know that would transport some?

10. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i know no one in the states sadly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by