Antibiotics

petra56

In the Brooder
May 24, 2016
Seguin Texas
Hi! My chickens have been on duromycin 10 for 7 days now. They are doing so much better but would like to keep them on it for at least 10 days. I have one day left and called the vet for a prescription but they have to see the chicken and then order the meds. Ugh!!!
They will be out of meds and don't know when I will get the new antibiotics. Can I finish the next few days with Tylan 50 orally? I may can get some of that. And if I can, does anyone know how much to give them? They are about 5 1/2 months old. Thank you so much!

When you could buy it over the counter, the directions said to give it for 7-14 days. So you could call them and ask for a few more days. But they should have gotten the benefits with 10 days' worth by now. Most human or animal antibiotics are only given for 7-10 days. I would probably just make sure they are receiving some probiotics from their feed (check the label) or with a small amount of plain yogurt cultures for the next week or so. Good air circulation without direct drafts, dry clean bedding, and prevent mold or dust which can lead to breathing problems. Since respiratory diseases can be viral, fungal, or bacterial, they may have some mild symptoms for a couple more weeks. I hope this helps.

Thank you! I am taking her to the vet today and hopefully they can figure out what's going on. They have sand in the complete bottom of the coop area where they stay most of the day. They are smaller than the other chickens so I let them out about 2-3 hours a day. The only shavings they have are on a shelf under their perch. I keep it pretty clean and pick up poop in the coop at least every other day. They have plenty of ventilation. I never realized all the problems they could have. The one that died last week was a polish and the one that's been struggling is a Houdan. Are these breeds usually sickly? Thank you for your help.

Thank you so much! So do you think it would be ok to take the antibiotics away for part of the day to make sure they all get plenty of Corid? Is a spoonful of yogurt enough every day for 5 chickens? They are about 5 1/2 months old. I have probiotics to add to water but I think that's too much right now.

I would leave both the antibiotic and corid out for them and follow your vet's instructions from your pm. I'm not sure if you could mix them together into the same bowl or not, but some people have done such things. I would allow about a spoonful of yogurt per chicken. When I give it to mine I will mix it into the feed.

Back
Top Bottom