Antique incubator!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by abigalerose, Sep 28, 2016.

1. abigalerose

abigalerose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    Today I was up in the very scary attic of the old farm house I'm moving into (been in my family for at least 4 generations), there's about a hundred years worth of junk on the house but I hadn't been in the attic yet. Well I found and old incubator! It looks like you must of had to use a gas heater to heat it, it has a turner.. I think? And a peer window. It's suppose to go on a stand but I haven't found the stand yet, I may not. The label say "the porter" and then something hatched, and then "incubators and brooders" and BLAIR. NEBR.
    I *think* it's from the 1920's but I can't seem to find the exact incubator no matter how hard I look.
    Does anyone on here know anything about it? What year it was made? How much it's worth? How I can clean it? How I can get it to work again?
    If I can't get it working I'll turn it into an end table.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you tried putting "antique incubator," in the search box. I remember some years ago there was a lot of buzz on BYC about old incubators and people had photos of their finds and were learning about how they were operated.

3. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    No I haven't, but I'll give it a try!

4. iLikeMineFried

iLikeMineFried Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Northern Wisconsin
    I found these old magazine articles, I thought were neat. I love antiques. This thing would make a nice end table if cleaned up.
    *Edited to add- I searched for "Incubator Blair Nebraska"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  5. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Thanks! That's more than I've been able to find so far

6. iLikeMineFried

Jun 29, 2016
    Northern Wisconsin
    The date on the magazine was February 1919.

7. iLikeMineFried

Jun 29, 2016
    Northern Wisconsin
    I tried to clear up what it says under "The Porter" with Photoshop. It's hard to make it out, but it looks like __PERHATCHER. Maybe Hy-perhatcher?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  8. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    I was thinking hyper hatcher too, but I can't find ANYTHING no matter what I search, except for those articles [​IMG]

9. Jamieleigh

Jamieleigh New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    Nice find! I bought an old redwood incubator than I haven't cleaned yet, I am hoping to begin this weekend when I have a little free time. I'm also trying to find out what the best cleaner to clean the inside and outside of an old incubator...

10. iLikeMineFried

Jun 29, 2016
    Northern Wisconsin
    I searched the historical records for Blair Nebraska, and it said the company name changed to Blair Incubators, and the only 2 models I found were the X RAY and the RAY O.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by