1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Antique poultry brooder?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Zenbirder, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Songster

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    I hope someone can recognize this antique I bought at a consignment house yesterday. I can not seem to find out anything on the web, but I suspect I am using the wrong words to search. It was tagged as a poultry brooder. It is one piece molded glass, approx. 7 inches wide and 9 inches to the top of the metal tip, the top is screw-on. The wording on the top says "Do not fill above this line" There is a symbol on the base with a diamond inside an oval, a larger number three and a smaller number zero. Any help is appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. Well I'm no help at all but it's really cool! Sounds like a job for "Antiques Roadshow"! [​IMG]

Phyllis

3. lesliet

lesliet Songster

Apr 27, 2007
    Webster, FL
    it looks like an old pressure cooker, just guessing... [​IMG]

4. verthandi

verthandi Songster

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Sort of looks like a small version of the glass bottles that were used to hold kerosene for cook-stoves.

Check this link and see if it looks similar. There are selling much higher on eBay, but this photo looked similar to yours and had a fairly good description.

http://blujay.com/?page=ad&adid=1328351&cat=27060000

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  5. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Songster

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    Thanks so much Verthandi! It does appear that it is just an old kerosene bottle and has nothing particular to do with chickens. I am still glad I bought it, it was only $6. Much appreciated info.

6. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    verthandi is right......................

7. verthandi

verthandi Songster

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:Well in days gone by,some farm families kept chicks, piglets, kittens and even premature babies warm behind the kitchen cookstove. So in a way that bottle could have been part of a poultry brooder. It's an interesting find and I am sure it will cause folks to ask what it is.

8. Penturner

Penturner Songster

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno Nevada
    I'm thinking that if it had anything to do with a brooder it is a brooder warmer. and there is supposed to be a wick coming out that top piece. jsut sets there and burns like a candle or is missing the globe. you might try a little bit searching along that line but would not go at it like it is a certainty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: