antisocial barred rock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by secondhandrose, Oct 9, 2011.

1. secondhandrose

secondhandrose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    my barred rock is 5 months, she or he sits around most of the time, doesn't join the other "girls", likes to hide in dark areas. She is eating fine and drinking, what might be wrong with her?

2. 5parrots&zoo

5parrots&zoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    How many other chickens do you have? Could this one be at the bottom of the pecking order? My bottom gal does tend to stay by herself more than any of the others, I guess she just does not want to be pecked....

3. secondhandrose

Oct 9, 2011
    Thank you so much for writing. I have 5 barred rocks altogether. Live in the suburbs and didn't want a large flock. When she was younger she seemed to me she was the dominant hen, most of
    the family think she is a rooster but it's to early yet. Havent seen any rooster type behavior from her. They are 5 months old.

4. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Hi and [​IMG]

I agree with the previous post-she's probably at the bottom of the pecking order. If it is a rooster, it will be much lighter in appearance than the other females. [​IMG]

5. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    x2

I once had an anti-social polish pullet. Well, I think she was anti-social... Either that or she couldn't see much from her crest [​IMG]

Hope that it's a hen so you can keep her [​IMG]

6. secondhandrose

Oct 9, 2011
    I hope I can keep the chick too! I named her after my granddaughter, so there's no chance of a chicken dinner here at this house! She is a lot lighter in color than the other girls plus she's a lot
    bigger, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that shes not a roo!!! Thanks everyone, really appreciate having a site that I can share things.....secondhand rose

7. nxd10

nxd10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    My dominique is like that - also in a flock of 5. She is smaller than the others. Although she doesn't get picked on, she forages by herself and never joins in with the other girls. She's lower on the pecking order even than the dove that lives with the hens.

But she's fine and is my best layer.

My barred rock (it was supposed to be a dominique when I ordered, but it looks like a barred rock, so I'm betting it is) is top of the pecking order. Go figure.

As long as no serious fighting is going on and they seem happy, I do not worry about the social life of my birds. [​IMG]

8. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    If it's a lot lighter, it's probably a roo. You should post a pic in the gender/breed thread. Five months is plenty old enough to tell for most birds.

9. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Quote:Um. Bummer news if you don't want a roo. If the chicken is much lighter than the other barred rocks, it's a rooster. Had the same thing happen. He was my favorite, too. Only he got very agressive and we had to part ways. Not all roosters are like that, doesn't matter what breed, so maybe yours will stay nice and you are able to keep him. Post picks if you're able.
    [​IMG]

10. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Hi secondhandrose,

Barred Rocks are pretty laid back birds. In my flock of BR's, I have a few that keep to themselves. My one LF BR hen is the flock DIVA - all capital letters! She's shy & grumpy, yet can be very pushy. Your hen is just who she is. They're lovely birds. Here's a photo of a (bantam) BR cockerel at a few weeks shy of 5 months, and a pullet of approximately the same age. Cockerel combs & wattles will be brilliant red by 5 months; 5 month old pullets have a far paler & diminutive comb by comparison.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by