Antivirus software

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've had webroot for a really long time as my antivirus software. It worked great, but recently they put out an update for the program. My dad had upgraded his awhile back and it just did not agree with our older computer and he ended up buying a new computer. I thought maybe that was just because it was so old but I still put off updating. Just this past week, I started getting messages saying they couldn't give me virus updates without the new program update, so I went ahead and updated. The program did the SAME thing to my computer. My internet was so slow I could barely use it and my computer kept freezing up. Turns out I couldn't even turn off the program to see if that was the reason my comp was running so slow. I was worried it was a virus and not the program! A few internet searches later, and it turns out most people have had the same problem.

Sooo, I unistalled and currently I'm runnning the free program Avast!. My computer is working a million times better. It's less noisy, I can surf the web, and it hasn't frozen on me yet. Now my question is, what antivirus program do you use? Does anyone use Avast? How does your program work for you and what would you recommend for me? I'm willing to change, but I do have every intention on sending webroot a complaint email because I still have over a year left on the subscription and I can't even use the stupid thing! Currently I'm running Avast with Malwarebytes and Cr*p Cleaner.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've run the free Avast for a few years, it runs well, but I did have a computer crash last year when it was accidentally left on the web for a month or so (due to illness.) My computer guru tells me the current best is Norton, which has recently been completely redone, but none of them are perfect.

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I subscribe to Norton 360. It's the best antivirus program I've ever had. I'm EXTREMELY careful what I click on (downloads, etc) and it's still catches a trojan every few months. It catches intrusion attempts almost daily...

4. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thank's guys!

We've used norton in the past and I'm glad to hear it's been redone! We had it years ago and it did more damage then it prevented. Seems like all the programs are getting better though! I will definitely look into it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  5. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    I have Norton 360, but last year it missed catching a virus.
    My AVG caught it though.

6. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    I have Malwarebytes and NOD32. Back when I went to the virus-infested Deviantart, it caught all seven Trojans.

7. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I have given up on PC's Finally got an I-Mac and love the fact you don't get viruses.

8. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm a die hard Norton fan, won't use anything else. Have been using it for over a decade. Never had a complaint. Yes, their customer support IS in India, however I find them easy to understand and extremely helpful, walking me through any issues I've had. You couldn't pay me to try any other brand.

9. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    How much is it for a year subscription to Norton? My old program you HAD to buy a subscription for three computers and it was $60.

10. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:To be honest, I'm not sure how much it would cost new. I've been with them for so many years that I have a lowered renewal rate, I only pay around 40 bucks I think? And I've got the full Internet Security Suite. It was more when I first bought it, but like I said, they let me renew at a much lower price and I simply download the upgrade each year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by