Ants as food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kizanne, Aug 20, 2011.

1. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I certainly know some people in other cultures eat ants... but I was surprised to find my BR Spot loves ants. Does anyone else have an ant eating chicken? Do they eventually reduce the ant population in and around their range area?

2. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    They move and they are made of protein, chicken's aren't picky;) We have huge amounts of ants and our girls free range but I've never noticed a decrease in the numbers.

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    We have 2 flocks currently and one flock eats them while the girls in the other flock will not.... Go figure?

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have several chickens in my flock...they enjoy them....

5. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    We have many different types of ants on our property. our birds eat all of them, even fire ants. Sometimes an ant hill will fform in the layer run and they don't destroy it right away. Then after a few days the nest is dug up. I wonder if they know about ant larvae? Wish I had more time to study my bird behaviors. The ladies gather around our outdoor dining table and chairs and eat ants off the legs and metalwork. When we let our ladies out in the afternoon to forage they make a run to two places, under the bug zapper and our grey water field area that waters our bananas and figs- for bugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by