Ants everywhere

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Yellowcoop1, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Yellowcoop1

Yellowcoop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Hi everyone. My front driveway/walkway and some surrounding grass area is loaded with small to medium sized Red ants. I walk barefoot around my property and can't even take the garbage out without stepping on them, eww.

My question is this:

Can I make a quick homemade harness for the chickens (kinda like they sell for parrots) and walk them around on a long leash (cause this is the front of my property not fenced) as the eat all of those red ants. I want maybe three of them to do it.

There is so much activity that it looks like they may be trying to move to a new home???

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can use a leg leash or set up ex-pens where you want them to be.

3. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    How do you make a leg leash? Will it work on Guineas? Thanks.

4. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Take a 3/4 inch strip of leather about 4 inches long and estimate a slit in the center of the 3/4 inch part in from the end enough so as to not pull through. Take and feed the other end into the slit, the 'hole' needs be a little larger than the size you are feeding through, it needs to be able to slide a little. Punch a hole in the other end and put a rope, string, whatever you have that will hold the bird, in it and tie a knot, attach the 'whatever' you used to a stake or big brick or what have you. You have now made a leg leash. It is a very simple object, don't over think it. the bird can not get away from where you wish 'it' to be.

Make sure you protect the bird, because it can no longer protect itself from 'things' in the great outdoors. This item will work for all birds I suppose, I have only done so with chickens. Put it on your Guineas and see how it works.

It works like this one, but is not as fancy.

[​IMG]

As long as you follow the concept, you can use most anything. Just make sure it does not cinch up and stay too tight. You don't want your birds feet going to sleep.

Best,

RJ

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You got to love a good Tie Cords. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  6. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Thank you. The loop getting too tight and cutting off the circulation is what I have been worried about. I have had guineas run off on me twice and I am afraid my babies might take off when they get older too, so I have been looking for a way to prevent that. I was told to only let half of them out at a time but if I can leash them, I can be sure that I am not keeping the same ones penned all the time.

7. Yellowcoop1

Jun 13, 2014
    Well, that will work RJ. Thanks for replying.

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You could just use a zip tie. Once set it won't tighten. If the birds aren't full grown, you'll have to change them as they grow.

9. Yellowcoop1

Jun 13, 2014
    That's true. But I would want to wrap/pad it so I don't hurt their legs.

10. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes. Another good point since they'll be pulling against it.
    They do quickly learn their boundaries though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by