Ants found mealworm farm... Murderous disaster...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by collingwood, Feb 7, 2015.

1. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! My ants found my mealworm farm and killed over half my worms[​IMG]!!!!! What should I do? I've moved my mealworm farm somewhere else but it's in a really inconvenient spot! And the ants'll probably find them there too!

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Would poisoning the ants with ant killers affect the worms? That's cool that you raise your own mealworms since I've always wanted to do something like that, but that sucks that the ants are eating your mealworms. What kind of ants are you dealing with?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  3. collingwood

I think the ant poison would probably harm the worms! I don't know what type they are but here's a photo!
    [​IMG]

4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
  5. christine9

christine9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    I've had this happen last summer. I had fire ants come in and eat my worms. I didn't know what to do except feed everything to the chickens.

6. collingwood

7. Imachicklvr2

Imachicklvr2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Missouri
    I am sorry about your mealworms. You could put a coat of petroleum jelly around your container to keep the ants off, I use it for my hummingbird feeder pole and it seems to work well. If that would be too messy for you, you might try some double-sided tape to create a barrier. Just make sure it is at least one inch wide, two would probably be better.

8. collingwood

Thank you I think I'll try the double sided tape!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by