ANTS hate Oxine!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jenski, Jun 6, 2011.

  1. Jenski

    Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    For those of you who are having ant problems this season - - and who also hate pesticides - - I recently discovered that my trusty Oxine (bleach) works on ants! I keep a spray bottle of Oxine mixed with water at a very strong cleaning strength under my kitchen sink, and when I saw ants on the kitchen shelf I grabbed the bottle and just started spraying. It seemed to mess up their scent trail, and it also killed ants on contact. . . . and no worrying about getting pesticides near my food! I just wipe up and I'm good to go.

    Hope that helps other BYC folks! [​IMG]
  2. speckledhen

    speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

    That was a surprise to me when someone said it killed lice and mites. I had no idea. Great to know! I know bleach does, but Oxine is what I'm using around the birds and even on occasion a few drops in their waterers.
  3. WillieBoy

    WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 1, 2010
    Okay, is Oxine the same as bleach or isn't it...? Jenski's post and Speckledhens post seem to contradict eash others...! I know what bleach is, never heard of oxine..
  4. colebarnhart

    colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

    Yeah, what is oxine??? Assuming it's sold and located by the tide and detergent type stuff
  5. redhen

    redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

    May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Where do you buy it?? What strength do i dilute it to?
    And will it kill my animals if they eat grass sprayed with it?
  6. terrilhb

    terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

    Dec 11, 2010
    I wonder about where it is sold too now. And if it will hurt my animal and what it is
  7. theFox

    theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
  8. speckledhen

    speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

    No, Oxine is not bleach. It's about 200 x more powerful than bleach.
  9. WillieBoy

    WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 1, 2010
    Wow... Thats some powerful stuff..! So its a super bleach...? Where is it normally sold...?
  10. speckledhen

    speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

    that article:

    Oxine is known to kill every bacteria, virus, and mold it has ever been tested against and is 200 times more effective than chlorine bleach. But one of the most impressive things about Oxine for me is that it does it with such relative safety (when used according to label instructions). Environmentally speaking, Oxine actually biodegrades to ordinary table salt. And it is so safe to use on livestock that it is actually approved for use in the drinking water of ‘organically grown’ animals. I use it myself at the rate of 7-15 drops per gallon of water in our stock tank of drinking water for our own sheep. It keeps the water impressively clear and algae free, while keeping down the biofilm ‘slime’ that tends to develop on the sides of the tank.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by