Ants in the coop!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Fluttering-about, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Fluttering-about

Fluttering-about In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2017
    Spring, TX
    We live in Texas, Houston area. I am constantly battling tiny tiny evil ants that BITE!!
    While cleaning out my coop today I noticed a whole bunch of them against one wall. I couldn't seem to find where they are coming from, maybe inside the run under the coop?

Help!! What do I do???

black_dove2 likes this.
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Probably fire-ants. I spray them with permethrin. But I am sure other things would work. I use a liquid so the chickens do not get/eat it.

black_dove2 likes this.
  3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I use this, 20170503_091221.jpg I put it at the bottom of door openings and around bottom edge of floor. It works for me. GC

4. Fluttering-about

Jun 9, 2017
    Spring, TX
    I used the spray, it seems to have worked so far. When I spray, should I not let my chickens back in for a while? Is it bad for them?
    Someone told me that I can spray it directly ON the chickens to prevent mites and such because they spend most of the day out of their coop.

black_dove2 likes this.
  5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yea, a lot of people spray their chickens with it. I stir the ant nest to get them active so the spray gets on more of them. I do not hold the chickens back----but that's your call.

6. Fluttering-about

Jun 9, 2017
    Spring, TX
    Thanks everyone! I sprayed, and it seems to have worked. But I don't want to jinx myself!!
    Today is coop cleaning

black_dove2 and PD-Riverman like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: