Ants on eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Krazy, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Krazy

Krazy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2007
    California
    I have a chicken sitting on an egg. She left to eat and drink and I went to check the eggs but there was a lot of ants on all the eggs for some reason. Is there a problem? She doesn't care about the ants she still sit on it.

2. gretchen13

gretchen13 New Egg

Jun 18, 2007
    Shandon, Calif
    I've never heard of this. Ants are often attracted to dead or dieing things. I would watch how long she sits for. The eggs may not be vital if they are covered with ants. If no action after the usuale 21 day gestation period; I would toss the hen off and toss the eggs away.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Be careful about ants, they can kill a chick that has just piped a hole though the egg.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would try to candle the eggs...make sure NONE have tiny holes in them, then replace all bedding, and dust with DE.

5. Krazy

Krazy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2007
    California
    All the eggs hatched surprisingly ! Today they hatched around noon! The little chicks where eat the ants when I watched them the ants where eating a dead grasshopper and left.

6. drafthorse39

drafthorse39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    i'm surprised by the outcome actually, usually ants are attracted to rotten or dead things, very happy for you though! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by