ANTS on pip!!! Help? Ideas?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Laurieks, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    I put a piece of fruit in for the broody, and it attracted ants... they're all over the eggs [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. Laurieks

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    /bump

going out to make her a new nest sans fruit or ants... bumped this in case anyone has any ideas

(we won't have this problem with the bator!)

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Boy I don't know what to tell you. I would say try and get the fruit out and clean up around the nest as best you can. I would put some fruit maybe away from them and that may draw the ents away. I hope some one has a better idea. Sorry not much help.

4. Laurieks

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    ty Gin [​IMG]
    update.... I put fresh straw in a big plastic bin, moved in hen & eggs, wiping each egg with a dry cloth, most of the ants were gone, maybe from the DE I sprinkled around earlier, or the misting. Moved the whole thing inside with a feed sack over half of it for a little privacy for her. She took it in stride and is sitting like nothing happened.
    No more fruit at pip time.
    The other broody had ants too, so I moved the fruit away and they followed it. Her chicks are out... she hatched 4 of 7, I'm skeered to open the 3 she left, but guess it would be educational.

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Did she get off the nest? If not maybe more will hatch. I'm so glad you got those ants away. I hate ants. [​IMG]

6. Laurieks

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    nope, she's sitting contentedly... and has peep sounds under her [​IMG]. After yesterday I'm sitting on my hands & leaving her alone. (the hatched ones now in my sig are from the other hen)
    I heard ants were good for getting rid of yellowjacket nests, transferring their attentions there will be my next trick.
    Have a great weekend!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by