ANTS on pip!!! Help? Ideas?

Laurieks

Where did the time go???
12 Years
Aug 14, 2009
Sonoma County, CA
I put a piece of fruit in for the broody, and it attracted ants... they're all over the eggs
he.gif

Last edited:
/bump

going out to make her a new nest sans fruit or ants... bumped this in case anyone has any ideas

(we won't have this problem with the bator!)

Boy I don't know what to tell you. I would say try and get the fruit out and clean up around the nest as best you can. I would put some fruit maybe away from them and that may draw the ents away. I hope some one has a better idea. Sorry not much help.

ty Gin
smile.png

update.... I put fresh straw in a big plastic bin, moved in hen & eggs, wiping each egg with a dry cloth, most of the ants were gone, maybe from the DE I sprinkled around earlier, or the misting. Moved the whole thing inside with a feed sack over half of it for a little privacy for her. She took it in stride and is sitting like nothing happened.
No more fruit at pip time.
The other broody had ants too, so I moved the fruit away and they followed it. Her chicks are out... she hatched 4 of 7, I'm skeered to open the 3 she left, but guess it would be educational.

nope, she's sitting contentedly... and has peep sounds under her
jumpy.gif
. After yesterday I'm sitting on my hands & leaving her alone. (the hatched ones now in my sig are from the other hen)
I heard ants were good for getting rid of yellowjacket nests, transferring their attentions there will be my next trick.
Have a great weekend!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom