ANTS !!! Still have them . . .

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by catw0man, Jul 27, 2011.

1. catw0man

catw0man Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Splendora, TX
    Help! I've tried the DE in the coop and I still have the ants. They are not in the nesting boxes, thank goodness (no eggs yet anyway). The ants are out in the run, too. I read from someone "Just let the chickens eat the ants", but they don't get them all. I try not to put out too much Scratch either, so there'e not a lot left ove for the ants.
    Anyway . . . what can I use that won't harm the chickens? I sprinkled Sevin Dust around the perimeter of the run and the coop, not where the chickens can get to it, though. I got bitten all over my feet just trying to clean out the coop the other day. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. AspiringUrbaniteFarmer

AspiringUrbaniteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Melbourne FL
    Ants: Positives are that they ward-off termites for turf & they eat flea eggs. Negatives: too many to mention! [​IMG] Mostly that the eat you & it stings. So..... I read you can flood them out by hosing out their holes daily. Mine build elaborate tunnels & don't leave. I love the terro ant baits, but it doesn't seem like I have enough for the outdoors. You can buy Borax powders that tend to be marketed more for roaches... but if it rains a lot, well there goes your powder. Keep me posted b/c my yard is very anty & I just tried "Ortho Eco Sense" ant bait & I'm holding out judgement on that one for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by