Ants?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sakai, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Sakai

Sakai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Well we finally git a bit of rain this week (finally, because of the hurricane in mexico) and I went out in the morning to feed the chickens. My lone Bantam Roo is in my dog kennel right now until we build him a coop of his own, (and will most likely give him two or three girls).
    Because of the rain, otherwise I never would have caught them, the ants came out... big, BIG black ants and those tiny annoying ants. They seem to be atracted to the fresh veggies and the chicken feed. I know chickens eat bugs but are ants okay? There is a large amount of ants but not so many that the bird could get overwhelmed unless th ants decide that they REALLY like the chicken feed and come marching in. There are about 4 or 5 nests all over my yard so there isn't a place I can move my roo to to keep him safe. I stopped setting out veggies for him until the heat dries the area up enough for the ants to leave again.

But for the future I would like to know if Chickens are OK with ants, I don't want to put ant poison out because I don't want poisoned ants marching in the kennel and getting snapped up by the roo.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sometimes chickens will eat ants. Mine will not. I used DE to kill off the ants near the coop. Worked fine. At east they left the area.

3. Sakai

Sakai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Okay, thanks. I just wanted to make sure. The ants are already starting to leave until the next rain. So this time I'll know I can use some sort of pesticide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by