anxiety is getting me ticked off

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by HeatherLynn, Sep 16, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok so I have had panic/anxiety disorder for 10 years. They tried medications which drove me out of my ever loving skull. That and I am just not the type to depend on meds. I hate it. I can't tell you how much I hate it. It makes no bloody sense and it just ticks me off. I am so angry it just won't go away. I think the fact that there is no logic to it makes me even madder.

Something small happens and before I can get a handle on anything its so blown out of proportion I don't have a shot in hades of getting back under control. Its frustrating and depressing. I don't like this one tiny little bit.

So tonight I have no clue what I was doing but I had my head on one fist and for whatever reason took my pulse. I apparently pushed too hard ( I have low bp and its hard sometimes to find my pulse at all) and now the back of my neck is killing me. I think somehow I probably pinched a nerve or thats what my husband told me to tell myself. ( glands are a bit swollen from a wicked little bug I am getting over and I just saw the doc. see how stupid this all is ) The first thing in my mind was I was having a stroke or its cancer, or went so far as i damaged my spine. See thats what ticks me off. I know its stupid. Honestly I do know it but I still have that one part of the brain that is screaming every bad scenario in the book.

Sorry for the rant and rave but my husband is a bit frustrated with it tonight and I am more frustrated than he is. It seems to get under my control and then it breaks the fence again. Just irritating.

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Sorry you a re having a bad time.

Have you tried keeping a journal of what you eat and your moods? If you adjust your diet deliberately and slowly you may find some links there you could control yourself once you begin to see a pattern.

Also, have you tried essential oil of Lavender (as in open the bottle and breathe it in for a few minutes) and or Chamomile tea to try to help calm you down when you are having these moods? Some of this stuff helped my sister.

3. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I can easily do the same thing. I don't have a back ache, I have a ruptured disk.............Blah, blah, blah. I drive myself crazy sometimes. When you start "going there" Start repeating in your head either "I am well, I am well, I am well, I am well, I am well" or I am safe I am safe I am safe. A million times. You will think of other things but just bring it back to I am well. THe one that works for me is "I am safe" If you want ideas for deep breathing exercises I could email them to you. PM me if you want that info. Diaphragmatic breathing (belly breathing) really changes your body chemistry. Good luck to you. Being uncomfortable is the first sign of change! I do think caffeine and fatigue are not good for me.

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:Key ingredients that CAUSE this...caffeine and nicotine. Also, too much salt can cause heart rate and BP to go nuts. My BP was low for years and now...spikes...just random whenever whatever BP spikes..it sucks, but I am slowly getting a handle on it through diet adjustments...and I've lost 30 pounds..so either way I WON [​IMG] Sorry you are going through it..hardly anyone understands!!

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Do every thing you can chemically, I hate meds too, so think as mentioned above stimulants ala caffeine/nicotine/sugar ... but also, there are some things that can be helped by the mind. Not all, by ANY means, but some.

If you don't already know, figure out what it is that causes the panic. That may take some doing if you haven't already found the root, but it's worth it. If fear for your family is the trigger, then assure yourself of their safety (even if it means an embarasing call to DH's work) and then try to calm yourself based on facts.

Won't work all the time... maybe not even 50% of the time but even if it only works 1% of the time that's one less time you're freaking out and risking your health.

[​IMG] Panic is NOT easy to deal with, this I know all too well. Breathe, just breathe.

Ohhh... random thought. Is there any particular music that summons happy or safe feelings/memories? Panic is instinctual, it's your senses acting in overkill... maybe overriding one, hearing, and thus the mind's reaction to it might help??

6. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Oh we already tried the drugs. After their 5th try which had me hiding behind a couch trying to hold my skin on so it wouldn't run away I figured out that maybe the meds were driving me nuts. I had super mild anxiety when I went to the doc and it was just a regular check up after I had a baby and they put me on all these different meds. I think maybe the meds actually made the problem bigger.

I have kicked caffeine and no longer drink anything with it. Night time is the worst. I hate night time. I think because I am tired its easier for the thoughts to get the upper hand. I would love more deep breathing methods. I already do some but obviously not working so well. Tried the Linden method, thats not going great. I take herbals already. They help some. I do some very basic qi gong stuff and I ordered a dvd that is supposed to really help with this. I even have a cd that is supposed to help you while you sleep. ( i swear the woman on that cd is a wacko, she is very freaky sounding)

Its just ticking me off tonight. And because I was all tense with anxiety when this happened my neck is now probably really hurt because I can barely move it. I think I pinched something. ( I already had a neck injury from a horse fall so I am always wary of hurting it again) You guys understand what I mean by it being irritating though right. I am a smart woman. I am very logical and down to earth. and yet this stupid stupid thing will not sit down, shut up and behave. Nooo it keeps bringing totally illogical conclusions to the front of my head and making me fight. Just irritates the living fire out of me. I hate it so dang much.

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Yes I understand! It is VERY irritating! I'm not by any means unintelligent myself, and the lack of logic behind the whole thing...just gets on my last nerve too..so yes I get it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. littlefarm_bighappy

littlefarm_bighappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    I get it. I went through the anxiety med route too. It was such hell kicking the drugs that now I would rather have a panic attack and pace the house than take a pill and sleep.

Good luck. I hear you. Mine is from PTSD. Events have accumulated now that if it is a normal day- no drama, deaths, or trauma- I am just so happy.

9. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I hate it. I can't tell you how much I hate it. It makes no bloody sense and it just ticks me off. I am so angry it just won't go away. I think the fact that there is no logic to it makes me even madder.

Seems weird but one way to stop/ or at least reduce sevarity and frequency of panic attacks is recognize them for what they are, decide in your mind they are ok and go with it rather than fighting it. It kind of interupts the feed back loop that causes them. The more you hate them the more you fear them the more anxiety you have towards them and the worse they get. Sort of a don't feed the forum troll concept.

Don't give up, good luck with it. No shame in talking it over with someone who is trained to help.​

10. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I talked it over with the hubby a few times. His suggestion was to stop thinking. He tries to understand but can't grasp that concept of not being able to turn it off. He is good natured about it though thank GOD. He may not understand but he is right there getting the kids a movie and mommy some breathing room and space and chanting everything is fine. Poor man has it down to a science now. I have had a couple good suggestions though and I am not giving up on getting rid of these. I am a major control freak and it really is unbearable to have something else in charge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by