Anxiously awaiting ducklings

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Niche Flock, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Niche Flock

Niche Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2017
    Hey everyone,
    This is my first time on BYC and I thought I would reach out to see if anyone has had a similar situation like the one I am having now. I currently have a small flock of six ducks (5 female Indian Runners & 1 female Cayuga). Two ducks I inherited and 4 I purchased from Hoover Hatchery about this time last year. In January I placed an order with Metzer Farms in CA for delivery in March. The order I placed was for 5 female Welsh Harlequins, 5 female Khaki Campbells & 2 female Cayugas. They were shipped out on March 20th, and because I live on the East Coast they were to arrive today, March 22nd. I visited my local post office yesterday and mentioned that I am expecting ducklings, left my name and number checked to see when their deliveries were etc. Today I anxiously waited for a phone call and visited my post office again and informed them that I am awaiting a delivery of ducklings. They didn't have them and asked for the tracking number. I didn't receive one with my email confirmation so I phoned Metzer and they were very nice and emailed me a tracking number. I looked the number up on USPS and I can see that the order shipped out on Monday the 20th but there is no additional info about arriving at any destination or local distribution center (which I would have driven to had it had arrived there).I am beyond stressed wondering where my duckings are. It is rather cold where I live and hope that whatever facility they are being stored at is ventilated and heated. I hope the gro gel they have lasts and that they are not dead. This is my first time buying with Metzer and I know they have a good repuatation. I am concerned that the delay is some hiccup on the USPS and am freaking out. Has anyone else had a situation where their ducklings came a day later than the delivery date?? What is the chance of survival? Any advice, suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]
    Thanks! -AB

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC!

Im sorry your ducks haven't arrived.I cant guarantee you that they will be alive with the amount of ducks you have they might be able to keep each other warm.Your best bet is to call Metzer and tell them everything.I would also try calling post offices near you sometimes they dont send it to the closest one.If they dont come Metzer will give you a refund.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  3. Niche Flock

Mar 22, 2017
    @MasterOfClucker
    Thanks so much for the advice! I phoned the post office in the town over today and they asked for my address and confirmed that they didn't have them or would receive them. I hope you are right that the number of them will help provide warmth, but I hope they don't crowd each other or trample one another. I am not concerned with money, I just really hope they are healthy and alive. Fingers crossed. The woman at my post office was surprised that they weren't shipped next day (which I don't know if that is possible if they are being shipped on the other side of the country).

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That's the post office for you. They do not update tracking till evening (if they do it at all). usually shipments arrive before they catch up with the tracking. I do hope they arrive soon and in good spirits.[​IMG]

5. Niche Flock

Mar 22, 2017
    @drumstick diva
    No wonder Metzer Farms doesn't include a tracking number, it doesn't help at all.[​IMG] I REALLY hope they arrive bright and early in the morning. I will probably not sleep well tonight. I am sure that this has happened to someone else before, but I feel frantic wondering where they are. And I think the post office is tired of hearing my name when I call haha.

1 person likes this.
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Niche Flock, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock but sorry about the delayed arrival of your babies. Hope it all turns out okay! [​IMG] Best wishes!

7. Niche Flock

Mar 22, 2017
    @redsoxs
    Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I hope they arrive tomorrow and are all accounted for. [​IMG]

8. KoopersCoop

KoopersCoop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2015
    Chesterton Indiana
    Welcome! And hope your babies all show up soon! Please post pics when your able. Good luck [​IMG]

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Niche Flock [​IMG] Welcome!

Got everything crossed for a safe arrival [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

10. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately what you're going through happens with shipped birds sometimes. I sincerely hope they get to you today and all is well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by