Anxiously Awaiting Egg Number 1

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ranger 1198, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Ranger 1198

Ranger 1198 New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    North Georgia Mountains
    My Dominickers were 8 weeks old July 8th. Any encouraging words as to when egg number ONE might show up? I figured that by the time the golden egg appears, it will be worth about $3500! This is way too much fun......

2. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    The first egg wait is the WORST! My hens started laying at five months on the dot. If you have an adult rooster there - he will give away the fact the she is ready as he will show interest in her alot more!

3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    My 4 EEs were born in May. One started laying about a month ago. One started today!! The other two- nothing. And my 2 older hens, who will be 2 this spring- nothing while they molt. Hang in there. For mine, both of them started squatting when I would go to touch them. The two that aren't laying just dart away And I noticed their combs got fuller too, as well as red faces, while the other two are smaller combed and more pink in the face . Watch for the squatting. Neither of mine sing yet, so I didn't have that tip-off.

4. Ranger 1198

Ranger 1198 New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    North Georgia Mountains
    Thanks to both of you for the encouraging words! My rooster was hatched at the same time as my hens. He's showing a great deal in the ladies these days for sure. Quite the character. Thanks again.

5. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Are you using lights? My olive eggers hatched in March hadn't laid a single egg until put a light on a timer in the coop. Two weeks later, they're shooting out eggs like pingpong balls.

6. Ranger 1198

Ranger 1198 New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    North Georgia Mountains
    No lights I'm afraid. No power out in the pasture where the coop is located. I have looked at a few solar powered lights, but most reliable lights are too expensive for me! I thought about putting some golf balls in the nests.....

7. Ranger 1198

Ranger 1198 New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    North Georgia Mountains
    [​IMG]:D Don't look now, but one the hens layed the first egg today! 25 degrees outside and miserable, but she still got the job done.....I was beginning to think all 6 of them( the hens that is) were broken![​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  8. Ranger 1198

Ranger 1198 New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    North Georgia Mountains
    Number 2 showed up today....think we may be on a roll......must be the 22 degree temps!

9. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Wooohooo! Mine started to lay on a morning we got 15 inches of snow. I think they wait for the bad weather. Congrats!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by