Anxiously waiting for my first egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gardenlady2, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Gardenlady2

Gardenlady2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    I have 8 pullets that were hatched at the beginning of October. They are a few days past 20 weeks old. Some of them squat down when I reach to touch their backs, but they continue walking at the same time so I'm not sure if this is "the squat" or not. I'm so anxious to get that first egg! 4 Dominique's, 3 Welsummers and a Delaware.....wondering who will be first!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IMHO, the squat people refer to has no significance with egg laying. Squatting signifies sexual maturity and submission for breeding but not that laying is imminent. The eggs will be laid when ovulation occurs which is dependent upon day length, health and nutrition.
    The size and color of the comb/wattles, width of the pelvic bones and checking out the nest box are better signs.

Since you only have one, it may not be her but usually Delawares mature faster than the other 2. I think lengthening days is the biggest determinant. If their combs are bright red and days now over 11 hours at my latitude it should be soon. Where are you located?

3. Gardenlady2

Sep 17, 2013
    Thanks for the reply! I'm in SW Indiana so just about straight east from you. Days are about 11 hours 15 minutes now. Some of their combs are redder than others. I'll check more closely when I go out this afternoon. I think some of the Dominiques' wattles are bright red. They've definitely been checking out the nest boxes....and scratching most of the materials out into the coop and making a mess [​IMG].

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi I'm waiting for my first eggs with this year's chicks as well. With my past flocks as soon as they started squatting for me (sexual maturity) I've have the first egg within that week. With my flocks they would stop and squat kind of trying to rub on your hand while petting them. That's always been a big signal in my flocks that eggs are coming soon. My gals are about 26 weeks now.a bit over 6 months. They aren't squatting. I'm so excited .I can't wait. I've noticed some nest building lately. They must be practicing . But it shouldn't be too much longer. I'm guessing mine were hatched around end of Aug or early sept. They were 7 weeks when I got them in oct. One was a little older. So it shouldn't be long. I'll join you in your wait.. Mine are silkies and seems silkies lay a bit later than other breeds. Mine are about a month or so older than yours. I wonder who will get their first egg first? ?? Keep in touch with me as we do our count down! :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  5. Gardenlady2

Sep 17, 2013
    Yes, definitely let me know when you get your first!!!
    Still nothing here yet, but combs looked redder today and a lot more squatting. My Delaware rooster mounted one of the Dominique pullets today. She was not at all happy about it! The others all came running over to watch, (no idea if he was successful) and when he got off of her one of the Dominique roosters had a short bout of "posturing" with him like a little standoff but not a fight. Less than a minute later they were all back to foraging peacefully together. Crazy birds, lol.

6. Gardenlady2

Sep 17, 2013
    22 weeks and still no eggs! 3 of the Dominique hens are squatting now, no doubt about that. The roosters are even mounting them! I've searched all over and can't find any eggs. I sure hope they aren't eating them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by